Question about rat's lifestyle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Question about rat's lifestyle

I'm wondering, i do believe rats are nocturnal. But, what is your experience with their lifestyles? do they sleep all day. do they wake up for bits then sleep? nocturnal or diurnal isn't enough info for me. i'd like to know if they wake up, nap, adjust to your schedule, etc.

for example. degus are diurnal, but they nap during the day anyways. they are up at night for bits as well.

so i'm looking for a rats' average daily schedule in terms of rest. mookie being 9 weeks, i figure his sleeping all the time is due to his age. but i want to knwo all this info, in case he could be awake just lonely. i hate always feeling like im gong into his cage and wakin ghim up to take him out. i wait for him to be out and getting a drink. but still. my instinct tells me he's fine, however, he appears to be asleep right now (buried in his hammock). my concern is me thinking he's fine and asleep when he's not, and then not taking him out when i could have. so experienced rat people. do yours sleep all day, or take naps, anything like that.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

mine sleep alot, off and on all day and all night... they are most active around 9ish - 2am if i wake them up and let them out they will perk up and play at any time though

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Mine wake up throughout the day. Scofield sleeps a lot but he's almost 2 years. You'll find that males will most likely sleep a lot even when you let them out to play.

They say they're nocturnal but I believe that they'll adjust to your schedule a little bit. Like Kendalle said they do seem to perk up around 9ish for a few hours.

So I'll have to say that mine take naps throughout the day and wake up for bits too.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

ok thank you guys! i just like knowing what to expect he'll be getting a friend in the next month or so. i just want to really keep an eye on him becuase he's so young and alone. he's sooo cute and irresistable, day by day he gets a little more outgoing

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hes a baby and will sleep alot then he'll get older and then be more active then get slightly older and sleep more agian...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Mine also are more asleep on and off, most in the morning but naps through the night.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Mine sleep alot thruout the day,but if I make any sort of noise,they all get up wanting my attention.I noticed they are more active in the afternoon and night.My males do aleep more so then the girls tho and even when I take the rats out,sometimes the males will plop down in some random spot to sleep or rest again!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *