Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Questions

How should I introduce my mice? I'll be getting all of them at the same time (some will come from the same litter, some wont. I'm getting them from a breeder) so can I sit in the bathtub with them and let them get to know each other for awhile and then put them in their cage all at the same time?

I've seen ppl putting material type items in their mice's cage. Do they chew it much? Is it dangerous if they do chew the material?

The bar spacing in my wire cage is not even 1/2 an inch- its that tiny notch in a ruler before the half inch mark- but could a mouse slip through that? The mice I'll be getting will be 1-2 months old.

If they can get thru the bars I'll make a bin cage for them I suppose. Is there any nice big bins that I could buy online? I'm not really sure how to tell how big it should be because they usually just tell many liters the bin is but the space could mostly be in length, which is what it usually is

I'm also getting rats at the same time since the breeder has both. This will be my 1st time owning rats but I've researched on them for over a year. Atm I dont have a very large cage but will be getting one soon. Will they be ok in a smallish cage for a couple days? I'll probably have them out alot anyways.

Is this a good cage for them or will it be too tall and not wide enough? http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-12962

Sorry about all the questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Will It Ever Change?

that's a great rat cage!!

for introducing the mice, since they're young you'll be fine with intros, a bathtub is great. they'll chew fabricky stuff i'd think. mine did. your mouse cage should be okay but you'll find out quick if its not lol. bin cages are great! they're easy to make too. just remember that before intros you should quarantine at least two weeks

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The rat cage looks nice, but it looks like it could be a pain to clean. Try to litter train them from the start so hopefully you won't have to clean as often!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They'll probably be able to squeeze through that. A good rule of thumb is if their heads fit, the rest of them will.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
The rat cage looks nice, but it looks like it could be a pain to clean. Try to litter train them from the start so hopefully you won't have to clean as often!
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I've been able to train my hamsters and rabbits almost immediately so it shouldnt be too hard to litter train my rats seeing as theyre smarter.

I'm going to be getting the cage in a couple hrs. I'm soo excited! Things are finally going right for a change . Only I'm gonna have to take something outta my room to fit my rat cage My parents wont let me put it anywhere but my room.

Tags
litter train