Questions about mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Question Questions about mice

Hi Ash here again, I know I ask alot of questions but i think it is better to ask then not ask so

1) what are good treats to give mice ?
2)what are good toys for mice?
3)if u run out of beeding is newspaper a good sub ?
5)how long should you use the same salt lick stone?
6)do you have to buy mite spray, eye drops, sampoo ect other pruducts for mice ? or is the pet store just Trying to sell me more stuff ?
7)how do you come up with a name for your new pet ?

now if anyone ells has question feel free to ask them here and if other ppl have answer feel free to answer here 2

From Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mice love all treats. you can give peas, corn, well any veggie but pickles i've heard. (like i'd give them pickles anyways, they're MINE! lol). you can get those hamster yogurt drops, looove those! as for toys, anything goes! toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, any box from your recycle bin (like a crackers box, cereal box, pop case). apple tree chew sticks you can find at stores, they're good too. anything wood (not pine or cedar).
sometimes i run out of bedding, newspaper is a good sub but you have to change it more often. it's safe because nowadays the ink is all soy based.
the salt lick stone can stay in the cage until it's done, no need to remove. my rat (i know you have mice, same dif) has his attached to the side of the cage. it's just left there, in case he feels he needs it.
all the stuff about mite spray and shampoo you dont need to buy until it's needed. if you keep a clean home and cage, mites may not be an issue. and mice groom themselves so they don't need baths unless someone gets squidgy poo lol.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanx

thanx for the help going to find some old boxes and sticks now Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
mice love all treats. you can give peas, corn, well any veggie but pickles i've heard. (like i'd give them pickles anyways, they're MINE! lol). you can get those hamster yogurt drops, looove those! as for toys, anything goes! toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, any box from your recycle bin (like a crackers box, cereal box, pop case). apple tree chew sticks you can find at stores, they're good too. anything wood (not pine or cedar).
sometimes i run out of bedding, newspaper is a good sub but you have to change it more often. it's safe because nowadays the ink is all soy based.
the salt lick stone can stay in the cage until it's done, no need to remove. my rat (i know you have mice, same dif) has his attached to the side of the cage. it's just left there, in case he feels he needs it.
all the stuff about mite spray and shampoo you dont need to buy until it's needed. if you keep a clean home and cage, mites may not be an issue. and mice groom themselves so they don't need baths unless someone gets squidgy poo lol.
I pretty much agree with everything said here i breed mice.
The only things i have to say are i dont like to use newspaper as bedding because the ink rubs off on their fur and they look dirty sao id say just try not to run out of bedding it pretty cheep for aspen its like 10 bucks for like 20 pounds of it at my pet supply.
Also you said somthing about finding old sticks if you do that put them in the microwave or oven on like 275 to kill any paracites or insects that may be in them so i would recomend giving them the storebought chewsticks/toys or give them cardboard like tp rolls it is a lot cheaper but i do ocasionally buy the store chews for a little change of pace it just depends on how far you want to go to spoil the little guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedeivl View Post
1) what are good treats to give mice ?
2)what are good toys for mice?
3)if u run out of beeding is newspaper a good sub ?
5)how long should you use the same salt lick stone?
6)do you have to buy mite spray, eye drops, sampoo ect other pruducts for mice ? or is the pet store just Trying to sell me more stuff ?
7)how do you come up with a name for your new pet ?
1. Fresh veges & fruit (go light on fruit as it can upset tummies). Pre-packaged mouse rodent treats.

2. Cardboard rolls & boxes. Make your own icypole stick houses and toys. Bird toys are great for mice. I plait old towel strips together for climbing ropes etc. The ideas are endless really.

3. Newspaper will work fine. It can make coats dirty looking but will not harm them.

5. Leave it there til its gone

6. Mite spray is one i do have on hand at all times. It is by far easier to prevent an infestation than to treat one. When my cages are clean i give a quick light spray, and a quick spray on the mouse itslef and all good. Wormer is another i have, my mice are wormed regulary. I have lots of other critters, and seeing worms can be spread my mosquitos, it is just another preventative.

7. Dont know exactly, they sorta just pop into my head *L*

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh yeah! i did forget to mention to sterilize the sticks you find. i like to boil them in a pot for ten minutes, then let them cool for a while, then you're good to go!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the other posters.
You can also give them a wheel.Mice love wheels and tubes and tunnels and climby things.

I also often add bricks or larger beach rocks (no sharp edges) to cages for climby things and to keep nails trimmed.Make sure you boil any rocks/bricks as well.

Another thing I do is put soil (no chemicals or anything) in a little container and the mice love digging in it.They do get rather dirty tho.

As for bedding,I use aspen and Yesterdays News.I often mix the two.I normally buy animal supplies in bulk,but if you do run out of bedding...newspaper won't hurt them.I sometimes line cages with newspaper anyway.

Tags
bird toys, pet store