Questions Questions Questions :-) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Questions Questions Questions :-)

Ok.. So i still dont have my ratties yett so im gunna find out as much as possible before i get them

Whats the difference between DUMBO rats and FANCY rats ?
Is the temperment different ?
Does anyone know if i can get Dumbo rats in the UK / NORTHERN IRELAND ive checked the net but can't find anything ?
How many times a day should i feed the rats is there a limit ?
And can you take rats outside / eg. carrying them around ?

Thanks

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

All rats are fancy. Dumbo is just a different breed of rat. However, yes dumbo's do seem to have a better temper and seem to be more cuddly. Dumbo's are slightly larger and I would recommend them for first time owners. Fancy rats are just as good as dumbo's though and it depends on the rats personality more than the breed I think. I change my rats food and water once a day and have taken rayray outside with me with no problems before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Talking

Whats the difference between DUMBO rats and FANCY rats ? dumbo rats are fancy rats, Fancy just means domesticated rats.. dumbo have their ears on the sides of their head so they look bigger while standard fancy's just have them on the top like a regular rat

Is the temperment different ? nope temperment isn't changed by the ears

Does anyone know if i can get Dumbo rats in the UK / NORTHERN IRELAND ive checked the net but can't find anything ? normally here petstores have them mixed with the other rats

How many times a day should i feed the rats is there a limit ? i just give them a bowl that always has some, they shouldn't over eat they will eat when hungry and run it off in no time. feed a lab block (just a pellet form of mixed food this gives them a well balanced diet so they can't pick out the things they like best, then you can give them fruits and veggies also nothing too fatty or sugary often

And can you take rats outside / eg. carrying them around ? yea you can take them outside but you take risks in it, they can run away, get caught by a dog or cat or get into things they shouldn't eat like pestiside, rat poison, or other trash

Also know that most harnesses made for rats its hard to get it tight enough they can't squrm out but not too tight they can't breath well

hope this helps you

Have fun with your rats they are great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Thanks alot to both of you's !!
yeeah i fought that i should always feed them a mixture of food as i had a guinea pig
but i know mostly everything about rats now thanks to this
FORUM
yes i can't wait to a get a pair just still need to convince my mum haha i would love dumbos there so cute
have you guys got pictures of your rattie cages if you's have rats so i can get a few ideas sorry for being a pest
x

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM

A dumbo rat is a form of fancy rat. Dumbos have extra large ears. There temperments are no different. When you feed them just continually keep food in the dish and they will eat when they feel like it. You can take them outside just be careful where you take them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

A dumbo rat is just a variety of rat.Their ears are rounded and larger and on the side of their heads.

Frosty - dumbo (note the ears)

Kahlua - standard

A fancy rat just means the rat is domesticated.A dumbo,fancy,feeder...etc,they are all the same species.
Rats all have their own temperment and a variety doesn't nesisccarily make them better...but I found all of my dumbos have been a little more sweeter then my standards.Altho my standards have been super sweet as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

Whats the difference between DUMBO rats and FANCY rats ?
Here's a picture of my two boys facing eachother. The beige one is a standard eared rat, and the brown one is a dumbo.

Is the temperment different ?
The temperament between rats varies between male and female but not variety. A blue dumbo rat you bought from a breeder may have the same temperament as a black rat you got from a rescue.
However, males tend to be "squishier" and more likely to sit in your lap and snuggle. Girls tend to be more curious and would rather run around or steal food out of your mouth before scampering off. This rule doesn't always apply.
Does anyone know if i can get Dumbo rats in the UK / NORTHERN IRELAND ive checked the net but can't find anything ?
I'm from USA so I can't really help you there. I'll do a search for US/Ireland rat breeders and maybe it can give you a boost.
http://www.dmoz.org/Recreation/Pets/...teries/Europe/
http://www.ratsauce.com/links/index.php?viewCat=6
How many times a day should i feed the rats is there a limit ?
I make sure my ratties always have food available. I feed them a mix between rat lab blocks, senior light dog kibble, and seeds/nuts [no peanuts]. I change out their seed dish once a day, and I top off their lab block/dog kibble dish. Rats love to hide their food, so I always check their beds and hiding spots for food. I dug up the bedding once and found a mountain of food, and an empty dish.
And can you take rats outside / eg. carrying them around ?
Personally, I don't. People fear rats so I tend to keep them inside. But that's my own personal choice. I've met people who took their ratties to work with them.

And you asked for pictures of cages. Here is my rattie's abode. It's not as big as some, but it's perfect for my two boys and it's almost too easy to clean. It's a Coast Cages rat cage, the biggest one they sell.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

I take my rats out on nice days to promote them as pets and educate.And many people who "fear" rats have actually come up and were pretty curious.Some have even ventured to pet my rats,while others just stand from afar and ask questions.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all your help you guys are GREAT!!
MooCowing, your boys are gorgeous and your cage is amazing
just the cage i would want

vanilla, thats a really good idea because i have said to people i love rats and want a pair and people are like OMG ARE YOU MAD ?? its so weird a lot of my family say rats are vermin which i think is so WRONG my boyfriend thought that aswel until i should him this forum and all of your ratties hes inlove too HAHA

x

Tags
fancy rats, guinea pig, lab block, lab blocks, rat cage