Quick Catchup in SpazLand :P - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quick Catchup in SpazLand :P

Working hard to keep Yara and Melvin alive and well (Norby and Waldo's sister and brother).

Took in 2 little old ladies who were going to be pts since their owner was moving to California and they both had tumours and wouldn't survive.

Isa was chubby and has a small round armpit tumour, but Dusa had 2 identical monsters inside her hind legs, and my vet and I went crazy and removed them...Dusa has a totally new lease on life

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lilspaz68; 04-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Took in a very "old" man of 18 months. He was utterly filthy, had so many lice just touching him briefly meant they were crawling over me, so I had to bathe him...and he was VERY sick. He'd obviously been like this for a long long time.

Poor Morry...

Arrival

Almost too weak to stand

We have been going through a LOT of ups and downs, many times I thought I would lose him. Lots of sub-q fluids, dexamethasone, oral antibiotics and of course his lice were treated when he arrived with Revolution.

Now we *may* have turned a corner and are actually getting somewhere (he's been here 12 days). His breathing has eased, and he seems more comfortable overall, he also is a bed rat and loves his new friends Nala (PT and resp), Perses (age, HED and resp), and Bean (younger boy but lost his two front teeth so needs careful diet managing).

Soo thin but getting brighter.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

And lastly I went very quickly from advising new owners about their nakie boy with an eye issue to having him dropped off to me. The woman who rescued Bella and Chilly (Chilly was a baby rat from a litter that some kids were tossing into the mouth of their rottweiller for fun!),paid the gas money of a friend of a friend to drive to my work in Toronto where I snuck Freddy in. The former owners had no money for vet(they lived in her building), and were absolutely petrified and incapable of even trying to treat their boy. I think its an eye injury that got infected, so I am treating it as such. He's been here 1.5 days now LOL

But already its looking better He's such a happy little duder

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 04-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Oh Spaz, I wanna hug all these babies. I will always have a special place in my heart for hairless monkeys. And poor filthy Morry. Just hug and love him better! Dusa is amazing! All this makes me want to cry in relief knowing you have them.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
Oh Spaz, I wanna hug all these babies. I will always have a special place in my heart for hairless monkeys. And poor filthy Morry. Just hug and love him better! Dusa is amazing! All this makes me want to cry in relief knowing you have them.
Awwww thanks hun!! Got 3 hairless girls coming next weekend, they have been in foster for a month in a different city while I waited out the last of my QT. So I'll post an intro thread for you once they arrive and I have pics

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Shelagh....WHY WHY WHY do people get pets, then neglect them and let them suffer?? If I had a brick to throw, I swear....

I showed your photos to Marc and read him your posts, (and we were so thrilled and happy to see Dusa's after photo, looking so wonderful!) and then we saw Morry. We could barely stand to see the photos of poor Morry, looking so weak and sick.

Then Marc just about fell out of his chair with anger and sadness when I read him the part about the Fun with Rottweiler and Baby Rat game (grrrrrrr) and he got so upset (as well as I) that people are that barbaric and uncaring toward animals. You think we'd get used to hearing that stuff, but we never get used to it.

Sigh...that last photo of Morry getting scritched and looking so..relieved, and calm, just made me cry, but in a good way.

That being said, now that I have vented, we are SO incredibly happy that your new arrivals have all found care, good food, love, warmth and a safe haven to be happy in and to heal their wounds, both physical and mental.

And I wish all the best for all of them. Please give special kisses to Morry for Marc and I and let him know he is loved from afar...waaaay out here in Seattle. I want to pick Morry up and just love him for hours. If I could, I would put my face into his fur, nuzzle him and rub him and whisper to him that everything is okay now and he is safe and loved. Well, I am going to tear up again, so I will stop. Kisses and cuddles to all your new kids Shelagh.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 04-23-2013 at 04:49 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Playful Pup

You truly are a gem. Just the most caring person ever. You give them a second chance and that makes me smile. They are all so lovely, and I am glad they had the chance to come in to your life. <3

My animals are my babies:
Cats: Abegale, Figaro, Chud and Adalynn
Ferrets: Panda & Fox
Mice: Nakotah, Raina and Esme (all white)
Rats: Ava (white&gray) and Isabel *new addition* Opal and Zuri (part siamese)
My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Rest in Peace all my babies I miss you dearly:
Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
My Kitties I grew up with: Babs, Gonzo. Moon and Angel
My kitties who never came back home: Peach and Buster
I miss you all, you will forever hold a place in my Heart <3
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Too short a second chance for Morry. He taught me something new (I would prefer never to have known) but he sadly passed last night after a horrific evening. I am sorry Vlad, you and your hubby are going to be very upset. I got some lovely cuddles in at the end though.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack