Raising baby rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Raising baby rats

I had someone come into work today saying their rat had babies. They didn't want it to have babies, they bought it from a pet shop two weeks ago and two days ago it had babies. They're still pink, obviously. They came asking what they should feed them and I was like 'well...just feed the mum fresh vegies, toast...' basically what I feed my girls. The pet shop told them to handle the babies, e ven though they're still pink. I told them to leave them alone, and leave her alone, in case she eats them. Did I do the right thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Babies can be handled from day 1 of birth...I like to give mom and them 24 hours before any serious handling (after checking to make sure they are okay). Pups that have been handled/socialized earlier have a better chance at being happy, confident and friendly adults, especially if Mom is a good happy mom. IF mom is a biter (some get very defensive due to their hormones) she will have to be removed carefully before handling the babies. She will need out every day for 20 mins or so at a time, say twice a day, then after a week, you can make it longer durations away from her babies.

Mom needs nesting material, LOTS of good food, her normal rat lab blocks (quality), veggies, a little fruit, baby cereal, Ensure/Boost meal replacements is a good supplement, extra proteins like egg, fish or chicken helps her and her bubs.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
baby rats