rat bathing tips please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

rat bathing tips please!

all righty so, i've decided that bathing the boys might better help determine if peter's gross or a rex HAHAHAHA! so i need any and all tips for rat bathing. soaps, water temp and levels. from bathing my cat i'm used to covering everything in towel and wearing long sleeves lol. but are there ratties out there that have adapted well or don't mind a bath. all tips welcome!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Oily Chickenspew

I just used to use lukewarm water (no soap..thou someone might know somethign to use) and just filled like an inch or two in the tub(make sure timmy can touch in some places and swim in others) and put him in there

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You can use baby shampoo or antibacterial soap. If you use anything but baby shampoo make sure you don't get it in their eyes.

I put a little water in the bath tub then take a cup and make them wet. Lather them up then rinse if off really well. Make sure you get all the soap off.

And you might want to wear long sleeves and maybe even gloves if you're afraid that he'll bite out of fear. Expect fear poops too.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I use luke warm water in my sink and I use my bunny shampoo which makes them smell REALLY nice. I put then in the tub and let them put there front paws on my hand so it's like their "standing" and I wet the rest of their body. Once they are wet I lift them out the water and rub in the shampoo then place them back like before and rinse them off. If your rattie isn't squrming you and turn the tap on to luke warm and rise them under than then I towl dry them . I've found that if you give younger ones quick baths and then as they get older they learn that it's not evil or bad lol.

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Playful Pup

I give muffin baths all the time she DID NOT like them at first but she go use to them.
The first time I did it I had my bf help me by petting her while I held her in my hand with a wash cloth and pored water on her and soaped her up. I was told the first time just put him or her in shallow water in your sink and fill both sides with about the same amount of water (one for soapy water and the other for rinsing) and slowly put them in and see if they like it or not... If not watch out they will freak out!
Oh, and I use either kitten soap or antibacterial soap mostly the antibacterial soap because they come in great scents BTW be careful with their eyes!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I forgot

I never get their heads wet, Mostly I'll do their necks and thats as fare as I got because I'm a baby about getting water in their ears I don't know if anyone else does it different but thats just me .

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I put them in the tub together and they just huddle and look pitiful. I leave the water shallow enough for them to walk and use a dixie cup for rinsing them. I never get their heads wet either, I only go up to about the shoulders.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I don't get the heads wet....

I mean rat baths aren't essential if you think about it, they clean themselves. It's when you get the nasty ones....tails..now that's another story.

*Missy*
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks guys! lots of great ideas

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Currently I only have 3 rats that tolerate baths.They have fear poops,but they will just sit there or walk around.

I fill the tub just a little,don't get their heads wet.I get to about the shoulders and I use kitten shampoo.I have used puppy shampoo before too.There are rat shampoos on the market,but they usually cost way too much! Kitten shampoo works just as well.Make sure you get all of the soap out!

I towel dry them and keep them in my laps for a few minutes while they bathe themselves (their way) and dry off,just to make sure they keep warm.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *