rat bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

rat bedding

i heard Millimi mention tumor from using news paper. i guess some critters are lucky, i have had all my pets on newspaper (shreaded) and they are just fine. what kinda bedding do you use? i never heard of any problems with newspaper as bedding. kinda got me a little scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I use newspaper too but its under the bars so they don't come in contact with it. I was using Aspen shavings, but it made them sneeze. Then I used Carefresh but it became too expensive because I would change the tray every day. So Mike suggested newspaper, and I figured that if rabbits can chew it up and eat it without being harmed, it would be ok for the rats to have as a tray liner. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Newspaper is afe for rabbits so I don't know why it would be bad for ratties? But my mice get a recycled paper kitty litter and tissues for their bedding. The litter helps eliminate smells and they love digging through it and the tissues give them sometihing nice and warm to sleep in!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I have read that the ink in printed newspaper can be toxic. At least I know some cases of people using it for gerbils, and it making gerbil's noses bleed. Of course, gerbils are prone to respiratory infection and allergies, so one have to be careful with the bedding one selects for them. I think that rats are prone to RI too, right?

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
I think that rats are prone to RI too, right?
Yeah they are prone to RI's. I am going to look into it more now. I haven't had a prob with the newspaper but now I'm worried.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

The thing with newspaper is the ink. If the ink is soy based it would be fine, but I have no clue how you would know whether it was or not. And if you shred it by putting it in a paper shredder, you run the risk of sharp edges that can cut them. For my hamsters I would line the bottom of the tray with newspaper and put bedding on top if it, and there were never any problems, but I don't do it for my rats.

Yup, rats are prone to RI, too. When I first got my rats, as soon as I heard them sneezing I wanted to get to the bottom of it so I could fix it right away. Turns out the Carefresh bedding was too dusty for them, and after I switched to aspen they were fine. Every once in a while they might be sneezey, but it's not very often at all. Yesterdays News is also something I want to try, because I've heard about how great it is as far as the fact that it isn't dusty and it does a good job absorbing things.

But if all else fails, you can always throw in a bunch of old rags, towels, t-shirts, etc. for them. The only thing that I don't like about that is how often you would have to change them, though.

Last edited by LilSouthPaw; 01-02-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: wow, im having typing issues today
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yeah my husband said the ink is soy based. I'm not sure how he knows that. And I just use a sheet or two under the bars, and they don't come in contact with it so I think its ok. They have hammocks and a tube to sleep in.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

Your correct soy based ink on newspaper is fine but regular ink is VERY toxic and will eventually kill them. Also pine, cedar or any soft wood bedding is an absolute NO. Also there is the possibility of paper cuts as lilsouthpaw pointed out. The thing with that is, paper cuts can be impossible to see but get infected easily. If you are a fan of newspaper I would suggest using Yesterday's News. It is pellets made of nontoxic newspaper. Also if you do get this get the one that says it is for cat litter. The cat litter and the small animal bedding are EXACTLY the same thing but for some reason they charge more for the small animal bedding!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

So the ink would only be a problem if they were actually eating the newspaper right? Veggie's rats should be ok providing they can't eat it? Just curious!!! Oh yeah, it must be different for different animals cause I know newspaper is ok for rabbits!!! My rabbits eat newspaper constantly (it's their bedding but they love to shred and eat it) and have never had any trouble. They are 18 months old so I'm sure they would have got sick from it by now! Good to know though! The litter I use for my mice must be ok too cause my last ones never got sick and these girls are 6 months old and haven't had a day of illness!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ummm..no... actually rats generally eat EVERYTHING, especially paper!! However Veggiegirl said the paper is soy based ink so in that case the rats are free and clear! Also regualr ink on newspaper is NOT okay for bunnies either sure you could get lucky and they will be ok, but the ink actually slowly poison's them, it eventually kills off major organs such as the liver and kidney's because they are unable to process it. This could take months or possibly even years. If you are not using soy ink paper PLEASE do! what kind of bedding are the mice on?

Last edited by SugarLoveRats; 01-03-2005 at 04:57 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok I remember heaps of info. saying that newspaper ink was no longer toxic, that was all soy based or something so it was ok. I remember reading stuff about it on websites and it's been mentioned in the rabbit section here too.....I've had rabbits since I was little and they were outside, and had free run of the yard during the day. We had one die of myxo, one died of a heart attack, one got taken by a hawk and the other lived until she was 8!!! Only one died of kidney failure but he was VERY badly bred and was sick from a very very very early age. He was an agel and hardly ever was in a cage, and he lived on straw so it wasn't newspaper that killed him. I use 'breeder's choice recycled paper litter. I use it for my mice, kitten, and the rabbits get it too. I live in aus and it's the only recycled paper litter available but it is very very popular!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Here is the link to the type of litter I use...incase it doesn't link you directly it's the australian market one that I use! It doesn't say anything about the ink but is chemical free which I really like and it doesn't clump like clay. I've got to go get ready for work now but when I get back on I'll look into the info on newspaper for rabbits!! I know I've read it was safe for bunnies!! If I can't find it, I'll switch them over to straw...a lot messier but if I can't find the info. on newspaper then I'll be switching, even if it's only until I do find the info!

http://www.fibrecycle.com/

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

Well like I said as long as it's soy based It's fine. Sorry to hear about the bunnies you lost! I've lost several ratties in the past few months and it's rough I know. Anywho, it's probablly true most if not all newspaper ink is soybased, I suppose I never really took notice as I don't use newspaper, but I'm sure your wee ones are fine! LOL I just wanted to point out the fact that it can be a slow process, just like with pine bedding. Alot of people think well my rats, bunnies,mice,ect. seem to be healthy so they must be fine (I don't mean you BTW) when in fact it can take a long time for the poisoning to take affect.

oh also just wondering what kind of puppies are those in your sig? THey are soooo cute!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh yeah I know trust me!!! I'm constantly trying to educate people at work (I'm a trainee vet nurse) but they don't seem to listen, wel most of them anyway! I'll check into the newspaper thing some more, I'll let you know! Even if it means ringing the paper and asking them what type of ink they use!
The puppies are english staffy's....not mine...i own an english staffy and a member on here got the sig for me!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

I thought they looked of the bully breed persuasion! I own pitbulls ma'self. OOPs sorry ratty I didn't mean to highjack your thread!

Tags
aspen shavings, carefresh bedding, kitty litter, pine bedding, respiratory infection