rat bleeding from vulva - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

rat bleeding from vulva

I just had my mommy female out and noticed blood on the cage door and it appeared to be coming from her vulva.. I can't bring her to a vet right now, however I have access to amoxi drops and such medicines tomorrow. I know if it's pyometra that spaying her is the best solution, but I'm broke right now and work at a vet and am wondering if any meds could help. This is the first and only time I've seen blood and it wasn't too much. Obviously i'll keep an eye on her and her behavior. Any help would be much appreciated. She's a biter too which doesn't help the situation. When she got farther along in her pregnancy she became pretty vicious and would lunge at me when I fed het and her cage mate but I've been working with her a lot and she's gotten much better. Id hate to lose her now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Official Loofah Tester

She's definitely got some kind of infection going on, which will need ABs. Female rats never bleed like that unless something is going on, from UTI to pyometra to cancer etc.

I'm not one of those who advocates going into debt for an animal, though I don't begrudge those who do, and if that's you, ask about the care credit plan. I also understand that life happens and sometimes we can't afford expensive treatments. I do think owners owe it to their animal to at least make a final decision to ease their suffering for them if it gets to that point.

So yeah, try the ABs on her and see if that clears it up. Only if the ABs don't help or for any other reason you feel like her quality of life is going to suffer you can make your decision then. It may be someone else can afford her surgery and would be willing to take her, foster her, or otherwise sponsor her. Ask around. It still may be that you won't need to make a euthanasia decision with her at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 09-28-2012 at 09:05 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Is your mom rat still nursing? If so you need a ped-friendly antibiotic like zithromax or amoxicillin.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nope she's not still nursing. I just have no idea what meds/dosage to use. Im so upset that she was just getting better behavior wise and now she's sick. I'll definitely try my best to he'll her. If I have to get her spayed I will absolutely try.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Unless the blood is really oozing out, its best to try antibiotics (try baytril at 10 mg/kg)) for a week to see if it helps. If so it was a genital myco outbreak...then continue the abs for a minimum of 2 weeks.

If the bleeding doesn't stop after a week of antibiotics you will have to consider a spay for uterine issues (infection, polyps, cysts, tumours, etc)

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I unfortunately don't have access to baytril. I grabbed amoxicillin from work today though and have read 10mg/lb 2 times a day. Im hoping that's right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRattie View Post
I unfortunately don't have access to baytril. I grabbed amoxicillin from work today though and have read 10mg/lb 2 times a day. Im hoping that's right.
Do you have a weight on your girl? I can give you a dosage.

From http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobi...moxicillin.php

Dosage Recommendations
10 mg/lb , PO , BID 4
Given over 10 to 14 days.
OR
10 mg/lb to 50 mg/lb , PO , BID 3

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I don't have a weight on her. I will have to work on that. She's pretty small. I haven't seen any more bleeding what-so-ever since that day and she's eating, drinking, climbing, as excited about treats as she always is. I'm not really sure what to do here. Thank you so much for your help!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

The no bleeding is a good thing, just watch and wait now

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just a quick update. She's been on amoxicillin and seems totally fine. No blood and very active. Thank you for your help! Now if I could just get her to stop biting.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRattie View Post
Just a quick update. She's been on amoxicillin and seems totally fine. No blood and very active. Thank you for your help! Now if I could just get her to stop biting.
Great health update so it was obviously genital myco, so now we can work on her biting issues. What exactly does she do?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She started with the biting when she was pregnant. She got me a bunch of times and made me bleed twice. Once when I was holding her and once when I put my hand in the cage to feed them (and I always warn them that I'm there).. she came out of no where and got the top of my thumb. I didn't know she was pregnant or I would have been much more careful. But that was 2 months ago and she still goes to bite me when I try to get her out to clean the cage and stuff. I don't handle her much anymore. She scares me. I have 2 little sisters that are terrified of her. They were there when she made me bleed the first time and it was a lot of blood. I was using workers gloves to get her.. which probably just scares her more and she can bite through the leather on them (which I learned the hard way). If she goes to bite, I simply close the cage and walk away. The worst part is, she was my buddy when I first got her and her cage mate and now I'm afraid to even pet her. I've been working with her everyday. She seems a little better. I've picked her up with my bare hands a few times now and she hasn't bitten me, but I still have the fear. I don't really know how to counter act her behavior. Sometimes when I'm petting her she goes to turn around and I'm always afraid she's going to bite me. And god forbid I put my hand on the cage to do something.. she's all about fingers.. she immediately jumps up and starts grabbing through the cage trying to bite. She's actually quite viscous at times.

Tags
bleeding, pyometra