Rat Chat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Rat Chat

This thread is inspired from the rat photo thread.I thought we could have a thread where we can just post whatever about our rats or random ratty thoughts or whatever! (mice people are welcome!)

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Maybe getting some new rats in the near future.

There are two boys needing to be adopted.I was talking with the guy who has them for awhile now and they are not working out wirth his other boys.So I am hoping to go see them soon.I was supposed to see them last weekend,but I stepped on a nail and couldn't walk.

Also just got an email today from a breeder.Awhile back...like a few months ago,I put my name on her waiting list.She didn't have litters at the time,but was planning on breeding rexes.Well I put my name down and actually forgot about her,since it was awhile.She contacted me this morning to let me know she has babies available.So the weekend I think I am going to go see!

And this morning I think Ronnie and Armin had a little "fight".They are sleeping at opposite ends of the cage!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

haha couple's fight!
so cute about all the other ratties! you're gonna have a colony soon!
I really want a second ratty, but I don't have the funds to pay for the vet since I got robbed so it would be very selfish. And even more selfish since my boyfriend does NOT want a second ratty.
Louna got to see some of my friends at school yesterday, she was sooo happy! she was licking everyone's hands, and they gave her some broccoli so of couuuurse she was ecstatic! now everyone loves rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh this is a great thread. Sometimes there are things I want to post but don't feel like making an entire thread for it!

Shiloh has been on meds for the past two weeks for URI. He is much better now. Last weekend my boyfriend and I went to visit my old college and I brought Shiloh so he could get his meds twice a day. We were in a hotel and gave him an entire bed to himself using things from the room like the ice bucket and trash cans for him to play in/on/around.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

this really isss a great thread thanks lisa!
I bet shiloh was all excited to get a bed to himself I hope he feels better soon!
Did you leave the whole weekend? when you do that, do you have someone watch your other rats or they are fine for 2 days with enough food and water?
post #6 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I was only gone for two nights. My roommate took care of the other boys, played with them, etc. When I go away I call to check on them every day.

Maureen

Six new rats

Last edited by mtmaughan; 10-15-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
haha couple's fight!
so cute about all the other ratties! you're gonna have a colony soon!
I really want a second ratty, but I don't have the funds to pay for the vet since I got robbed so it would be very selfish. And even more selfish since my boyfriend does NOT want a second ratty.
Louna got to see some of my friends at school yesterday, she was sooo happy! she was licking everyone's hands, and they gave her some broccoli so of couuuurse she was ecstatic! now everyone loves rats
Well a good idea is to put money in a bank account for things like vet costs.This is what I do,so if I need a vet visit...the funds are always there! Fortunatly no vet visits are needed right now.But at least I know I am covered.It is a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Oh this is a great thread. Sometimes there are things I want to post but don't feel like making an entire thread for it!

Shiloh has been on meds for the past two weeks for URI. He is much better now. Last weekend my boyfriend and I went to visit my old college and I brought Shiloh so he could get his meds twice a day. We were in a hotel and gave him an entire bed to himself using things from the room like the ice bucket and trash cans for him to play in/on/around.
I know.Me too,thats why I though I should start a thread and that way everyone can just talk about their rats or brag about them or anything really! And this way there doesn't have to be a zillion threads about cute things our rats did or anything.

I am glad to hear Shiloh is doing good on his meds.
Haha,did the hotel people know you had a ratty in the room?

* Lisa *

post #8 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I am glad to hear Shiloh is doing good on his meds.
Haha,did the hotel people know you had a ratty in the room?
No they didn't! I made the reservations before he got sick and I don't think they allowed pets. We just put up the "Do not disturb" sign so the maids wouldn't come in. We were actually joking about using him to say "There is a RAT in my room!" and demand a refund.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I thought about that.I am planning on going on vacation next year and thought of taking the ratties! Hehe.
I wonder if that would work? Haha...complaining there was a rat in your room?

* Lisa *

post #10 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I have rats in my room. LOL I am in a really bad mood. Some one droped off 2 baby rats and 3 mice on my portch the other day while out. one of the mice was dead when I opened the box. I though that my mom stoped up and left it becuase when I picked it up I heard nothing or felt nothing move.
The rats are both girls one is a patch blue Point simaese which I have been wanting and praying for but didnt exspect it to come about this way. and the other I think is a beige color. looks sorta fawn but has a white face wedge. So she'll have to be checked for Mega.
I hate when people do this. Granted I take them in becuase the Local PACA cant and surounding ones do but not to offten But dont LEAVE THEM ON MY PORTCH. They could have at lest called or left them with the spca an they would have called me. The note said that the kids had found them and had them hid in their room so they dont know where they came from and they Knew I has rats and took them in.
True is that is you DONT LEAVE THEM OUT SIDE IN THE COLD. Also I dont have the extra cash to run the pets left on my portch to the vet all the time. Mine I take to the vet and all but I can just take a pet that been left that wears a person thin even in the walet. Point they are supose to contact the SPCA then me so if the rodents need care they can help me with it so that way I can also care for my rats and other pets, but when dumped off they cant becuase they dont know if it was bought or attually left. Granted they know me but they have to attually get the info of whos it is and write it down and all that before I take them in.
The reason I got the Dumbo very poor blue point is becuase she was in the feeder bins and looked depressed. A lady brought her in becuase her babies didnt turne out show so she got ride of the babies and dont want her no more. Which is really worng. You have to work with a line sometimes for a while. The guy at the pet store even said that she was a poor and if breed to a certion color that was more show or is show the babies may not be completly show but are enougth to work with.
So they attually knew I wanted one and decited to put her aside. well I went grocery shoping yesterday and was not home but planed ot stop in like I always do to check out things and see the pets, and here they had called and I was not home but showed up thier.
But the lady was from smoke run which is the peopel Tweedle was talking about on the red flag thread. Oh I should call her up and ask her whats wrong with her head? I think that is were the other rats and mice came from becuase they were not show enough and she decited she didnt want them. Thier is also an essex mom with babies over their and thier are blue points in her litter that are patched like my female but not as well I think she decited she didnt want them as well and left them on my steps. But since I cant prove it nothing can be done. If I knew were she lived and was really shure then I would have taken them back or returned the dead one and told her that i dont take in the dead. But the rats are only 4 weeks old going on 5. and the mice look full grown. But they were in a box together wiht the rats which is also not right. I think the one got stopped on by the rats becuase it was smaller. thier was only a male mouse and the other a female which I hope did not breed. Granted I breed but I plan them all and already have ones lined up becuase I have the room for them. 2 that means I have to get the mom and babies checked as well.
I'm jsut haveing a terrible time. We name the new one that is a Dumbo B-P Eleanor after the bad luck car a '67 Shelby GT 500 becuas for that lady and were she ended up was bad luck but like the guy Nicolas Cage (Menphis Raines) he concered his fears and took a change and thats what I am doing is giving her a chance to be a loved rat and not food. She is sweet she let me hold her the whole way home was doing the brexing (or how ever that is spelled) gave kisses and is so sweet. she reminds me of a male more then a female. The guy said that she has been mellow like she seems depressed or sick but she has some milk so either she just had a litter and they all got taken or she only got to have them till the colors showed up. I would be depressed to if some took my babies and threw me away. Her eyes were red as in them running but it was from stress. I go ther home cleaned her eyes and to day she is fine no eye porblem now. They had thier vet in brook vill look her over and he siad she has milk a determind that she had babies not long ago. She is alone in her own cage becuase the other newbies are in theirs. I could intro them becuase they are both under qurintine for 30 days if anything comes about then its 60 days. But she seems to like being alone. She shows no intressed in the other 2 that are in their who keep crawing up the cage and sweeking at her. She gets excited when she sees me though.
Rats have to be like Elphans and remember like them I should say becuase to me Eleanor dont want to be around other rats maybe its becuase she thinks they or her will be taken away or she could still be upset. I'll have to get pictures some time and show them on here. The babies are kinda shy and can be handeld but are squirmy and Eleanor is not skidish but certion movment scare her a bit but she dose have red eyes so she might not be able to see certion things and movments could scare her a little in a new surounding. Well thats it for now. Sorry this is so long but I had to get this off my chest.
Diamond
post #11 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Maybe getting some new rats in the near future.
There are two boys needing to be adopted.I was talking with the guy who has them for awhile now and they are not working out wirth his other boys.So I am hoping to go see them soon.I was supposed to see them last weekend,but I stepped on a nail and couldn't walk.
Also just got an email today from a breeder.Awhile back...like a few months ago,I put my name on her waiting list.She didn't have litters at the time,but was planning on breeding rexes.Well I put my name down and actually forgot about her,since it was awhile.She contacted me this morning to let me know she has babies available.So the weekend I think I am going to go see!

And this morning I think Ronnie and Armin had a little "fight".They are sleeping at opposite ends of the cage!
I'd grab those boys up right away if I could. But four rats seem to be my limit while with my parents (a bigger number then expected!). I remember seeing you talking about your foot - is it doing better? Hope it's not giving you too much trouble.

Oh that's good, about the breeder!! I've been wanting a rex as well. I think in about a year/year and a half, I'll breed Da Vinci, my hairless rat, just so he "lives on". A female rex with a hairless should give me some naked babies, if I remember correctly. I have a while to do my research! That year will be the best anyways, as it won't be very hectic and they'll get the time and money needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Glad to hear he's doing better. I bet he really enjoyed the bed! Hopefully all the little rat pellets were cleaned up, or the maids will be surprised/horrified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
Someday soon you'll get another ratty. It's very good of you to think with a sound mind about this. It's hard when you see really cute rats in pet stores and on line! I'm sure the rat picture thread doesn't help.

I took Da Vinci to the pet store with me when I went to get Picasso sexed (he's a boy for sure!!). Da Vinci was quite the celebrity! All the little kids were petting his nose! He's used to laying in my hoodie pocket - I tend to take him on car rides with my boyfriend and I. Sadly it's getting chilly out, so I'll have to either be quick to the car or he'll have to wait at home. Or I'll buy him a Bill Cosby Sweater.

Oh, I love coming home to little noses poking out at me. I go over to the young-boys cage and stick my fingers in at them, and they kiss and lick and nibble! Good lord, Remmy and Jacopo are going to teach Picasso how to beg at the door!! How am I going to say NO to all three faces? >.< They're going to get fat off treats! Then I look over and see Da Vinci, climbed up on the cage, and I have to sit and hold him a few minutes. No matter how my day goes, it always makes it better.

ApparentlyI had a small gap in my cage! I looked over yesterday, sick as a dog, and saw Picasso climbing on the OUTSIDE of the cage! I thought I was hallucinating! I found the small gap, tested it by letting him get back into the cage through it, and then wired it shut. God, if that happened at night, with my cats... >.< But it's all well now. I check it every day to make sure, and do head counts.
post #12 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Me=hoping to get rats soon! Very soon

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

vanilla, I wish i could put money on the side but I have no job. I'm a foreign student and I pay to have a work permit. I'm allowed a max of 20h a week when I have school and I have to be in school full time to be allowed in canada. I can't find a part time job that works with my school schedule, I keep searching, I search everyday, I've been on several interviews and there's always someone more available who gets the job I'm VERY lucky my parents help me pay everything, but I don't have a dime left at the end of the month and usually my boyfriend very generously helps me get through the end of the month. We're moving this summer because the apartment is getting too expensive for me.
I'm ok with my situation, I really hope I can find a job, I'm thinking near december some students will quit their job to go see their family for christmas or because they're done with school, so i'm not giving up!
I'm glad you guys agree with me that's its good I wait till I have the funds i think everyone should do that.
It also helps my boyfriend doesn't want another rat to keep me from getting one before i can afford it!
I'm hoping maybe in the summer I can adopt a rat about louna's age at the SPCA, I'll probably manage to get a summer job, and if we move to a new place where the rats are less visible, I don't think my boyfriend should really care that we have 2. (i mean really, for him what's the difference between one or 2?)
post #14 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodieylia View Post
I'd grab those boys up right away if I could. But four rats seem to be my limit while with my parents (a bigger number then expected!). I remember seeing you talking about your foot - is it doing better? Hope it's not giving you too much trouble.

Oh that's good, about the breeder!! I've been wanting a rex as well. I think in about a year/year and a half, I'll breed Da Vinci, my hairless rat, just so he "lives on". A female rex with a hairless should give me some naked babies, if I remember correctly. I have a while to do my research! That year will be the best anyways, as it won't be very hectic and they'll get the time and money needed.
Yup,my foot is alot better.Just about healed now.Still a tiny bit tender,but I can walk.

So this Saturday I MIGHT have a new boy or two! She invited me over at about noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Me=hoping to get rats soon! Very soon
Me too! Hehe...I am excited for you.You will just adore rats!

Dustette - I am sorry.Hopefully you can find a job soon then.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 AM

nfffffffftttttttttttttttlllb 444444444444444444444415ttffff5 q56nk 66666666666666 y 777777clddddddd

...Da Vinci says good morning to all his lovely fans!!