Rat Diet!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rat Diet!!

Hey everyone..I have a question concerning rat diets.. I have to change foods for my rats cause Im running out of the food I got from the breeder (labblocks). I am sadly unable to get those same blocks because they aren't being sold anywhere close to me So I'm gonna change my rats diet..i was just wondering how you guys suggest I do that and what should I pay attention to? I will probably change from the blocks to a mix I will make myself..with dried vegetables, fruits and all the other good stuff..but how should I introduce that to them? Any tips are appreciated! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Newborn Pup

I just wanted to share this.
I fed my various rattie babies this diet for 8 years and they did wonderful. Called Suebee's Mix rat food. Everything can be found at the store

look here
ratsrule.com/diet.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Playful Pup

Seed mixes don't provide proper nutrition and the pesticides used in corn tend to cause cancer. Avoid products with corn high on the list. First ingredients should be more along the lines of healthier things. Soybean meal would be a great first ingredient, as it helps to prevent mammary tumors.

I order Harlan Teklad lab blocks online. Regal Rat is the best food, I order HT because my girls are quite young and have different needs. HT offers a kind especially for growing rats.

Oxbow Regal Rat is good, and is sold at many chain pet stores if your rats are adults.

If you absolutely can't get your hands on some lab blocks without a lot of corn, I would recommend making a home mix. Here is a great recipe:

"Suebee's Grain Mix
As a reminder, Suebee's mix is half staple diet and half grain mix. Don't worry if you can't find all of this in the exact sizes, this mix doesn't have to be exact. Also, you may have to substitute some products with others, just try your best and you should get a decent mix. I'm usually able to get all of my stuff at a local supermarket, but if you have a health food store it's probably better to check it out first (Though it will be more expensive). Also keep in mind that this makes A LOT.

Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 lb rolled oats - With the oatmeal at the store
5.3 oz boxed puff wheat cereal - Sugar free! Quaker, Malt-o-Meal, or Kashi. Cheerios could substitute if needed.
6.4 oz. box puffed rice cereal - Same as above. Quaker is recommended
12 oz. box Total Cereal
1/4 to 1/2 lb. roasted, unsalted soy nuts
1/2 lb dried fruits - Be careful here with fried banana chips and the like. You can get freeze dried ones online, or in the baby food aisle they sometimes have freeze dried fruit, however this is expensive. Fresh fruits could work too
1/2 lb dry pasta - Elbows or whole-wheat pasta
1/4 lb sunflower seeds - The black and white unsalted ones that are for birds. I have the hardest time finding these, but good luck!
Optional - 1/4 lb muesli

Just mix everything together in a large bowl or multiple large bowls and store in an airtight container. It should last for a long time!"

Tags
rat questions