Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Rat Discussion: Male vs. Female

20K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  lilspaz68 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have both male and female rats in my humble abode and wish to know your opinions on each sex. The general concensus seems to be that female rats are more skittish, but also tend to be more outgoing -- always on the go, always needing something to do. Males are usually laid back, and will sit around and fall asleep in your lap...earning the name "lap rat."

That was the general concensus, and here's my opinion on it...based on my many male and female rats:
-Female rats tend to be curious, and about as skittish(maybe even less) than the male rats. Very friendly too.
-Male rats are big scaredy cats, less inclined to explore their environment and more intent on finding a place to lounge around.

I hate to say how disappointed I am with the attitude of my male rats...but I'm happy with my female rats. Anyone have an opinion on this? My males just won't come out of their cage, hate being held(they poop and piss EVERYWHERE, and their tails swing wildly), and just want treats. I've had them for a good amount of time now and give them looots of attention, attempting to coax them out of the cage with treats and even giving them playtime on the table(they just run back to the cage...and if I take the age away they crap all over the table).

This may just be one giant rant, but I want to discuss it as well. What's your pick? I love all rats, but as a companion pet...I pick female.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've never had females, so I can't comment on them. I really do like my male rats though.

I don't see why you're having problems with them coming around. My male rats have no problems coming out of their cage. You should know that rats don't like to be picked up at first. They're prey animals and it's still in their instincts that picking them up isn't always a good thing. Just make sure their body is supported and use BOTH hands. I usually grab mine underneath their belly then put a hand underneath their butt.

If they're peeing and pooping everywhere when you do pick them up it's because their scared. If they are used to you then they shouldn't do that. I think you should just give them some time.

#4 ·
Algernon used to pee and poo and swing his tail wildly wherever I picked him up, but he's gotten used to me and now I can pick him up without him freaking out like that. However, he doesn't run to the front of the cage when he sees me to be picked up... he just acts indiferent... I haven't had him for a long time, though.... just about 2 months... I pick him up like Missy, a hand on his belly and the other hand on his butt, and then put him against my chest. He is still a big scaredy cat, and when he is exploring the couch, if something spooks him, he'll run to my lap for cover.

I had a female rat briefly (Uriel, she died young of unknown reasons), she would go crazy in front of the cage whenever she saw me to be picked up. When out she was always on the run like a little crazy rattie. One thing that annoyed me a bit is that she had the urge to mark everything, so she would walk leaving pee traces. I had to stop letting her out on the bed, and start goign to the bathtub with her...

Well... that's just my experience... which is not much cause I haven't had rats for a long time really. Still working on taming "little" Algernon. 8)

#5 ·
i only have females, but maybe its the age at which you get your males?

#7 ·
i have 2 females, i havent had a male, but one of my females loves to snuggle, she wants to be held alot and will sit and let you love her shell also run around and play with my other one but if you wanna snuggle you can, my other one (hairless) doesnt mind being held but doesnt want to be pettted (i think it would feel weird to be petted with out furr) and shes more busy roaming around. im going to make a new cage this weekend and then im going to get another one. i like how active they are but will snuggle

#9 ·
I have both and both sexes are very outgoing in my opinion.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your opinions! I respect the male rats bigtime, and understand their prey instincts cause them to panic when being surrouned by large hands. I got them when they were tiny...all of them used to crawl into my hands but slowly regressed. I have one that will still kind of walk onto my hand(he used to a lot more before...then just kind of stopped overnight). Overall, I'll just keep trying. I've had them for close to six months and figured they'd have come around by now. I guess it'll just take a lot longer.

Again, thanks for the responses -- I find your experiences very interesting =]...rats rule.

#11 ·
My experience with males (at least the thee I've raised) are that they are a little more lovey and attached then the females..but only slightly so. It is odd to hear that yours don't want to be held, mine loved it. Infact the male I have right now (gympus) is a great big smooze. Everytime I come into the room he practically jumps through the top of his cage. He loves to give kisses and sit calmly on my lap bruxin for long periods of time. I must reluctantly agree that in his older age he has periods of being "lazy". Now, my females were always the curious, fun loving sort. They weren't affectionate, but not usually in the kisssy laps sitting way. (with the exception of reepicheep and my poor departed buffy who passed two weeks ago, sniff)

#12 ·
It's odd that any rats, that have been handled alot since a young age, would act that way I think. Male or female. I've had both and raised them years ago, and never had a rat act antisocial that I'd had from a young age or birth. Maybe they'll come around with age? I've usually seen that boys are more laid back than girls, in general. They do mark you more, with urine..but that's about it.

#13 ·
I've heard that sometimes antisocial behavior can be genetically passed. Some breeders refuse to breed a rat who bites. I'm not sure how much study has gone into this theory, but it is strange. (I also noticed my tiny typo in my previous post - I meant my female rates are affectionate, whoops!) I've raised my rats and her mother bit me a couple times - but only when I reached in the cage while she was with her babies. Once she was out of the cage, she was completley loving again. Perhaps with time they will be more affectionate.

#14 ·
Sometimes it's with the breeding. If an animal comes from a good breeder, it'll be bred for health and personality.

I'm not saying that all animals that come from breeders are as nice can be and I'm not saying that petstore rats are mean...sometimes it's just how they are. Some rats do take longer to come around.

#20 ·
Personally I LOVE female rats. I usually get mine from shelters and rescues, but I have them out everyday and they are very socialized. They are playful, curious, and inquisitive about their surroundings, and come to the door when I open the cage. They love to play with me as well as each other, but if I catch them in the right mood, they will also be content to shuffle about my lap and "cuddle" with me.

I LOVE rats. Best small animal in the WORLD.

#25 ·
Let's see right now I have 5 neutered males, and 29 females. I always loved the exploring nature of the girls, but I have some wonderfully sweet cuddlers as well. My boy Dilbert that lives in with his Horde of ladies is a sweet active very playful and curious boy. I got him as a 3 week old orphan from someone who bought him as herp food and then decided he was too cute and they would "let him go" in the woods instead! :mad2: The 2 wildthings are actually starting to come around, and my 2 boys from my only oops litter are awesome, friendly and playful. Popcorning and exploring and crawling all over me.

Turkeyman, your boys sound very nervous out in the open, which is a natural prey instinct. Have you ever had them on a couch with cushions or a comfy chair in your lap with a blanket over top? They would explore under the blanket being covered and "safe" and eventually someone would bravely stick a head out from under the covers, etc. This is a method I use for my new rescues of any age and so far its worked very very well. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.