Rat dominance - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rat dominance

I've been watching my girls. They've just woken up for the night and are zooming around like idiots. Pita just humped Pandora - something I've never seen either of them do. Pita has a bite on her side. But after she humped Pandora, Pita chased her around the cage then pinned her and groomed her. Is she trying to be dominant or subordinate? Cause if she was being dominant, would she have groomed pandora?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

From my experience, it seems that grooming after pinning is a dominance thing. I'd keep an eye on them to make sure things don't escalate any more, and if Pita has a wound, you'll want to make sure to clean it and watch it for infection. You might even consider separating them for a little while and reintroducing them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Rodentologist

The dominant rat power-grooms the submissive rat.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The wound that Pita has is tiny. Its clean and its not bleeding. It looks like a normal battle scar. It makes sense that Pita's the dominant one cause she's a fair bit bigger then Pandora. And as I write this, Pita just got back on top of Pandora and groomed her. I haven't got another cage to seperate them into, and I think they'd stress if I did.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

In other news, I just had Pandora out without Pita, after observing her subordination to my other girl. And she was running on my jacket and I noticed these drops of liquid. I'm guessing she piddled on me. She hasn't peed on me for a few months, and someone said to me that they pee on you when they have been out for too long. But I think peeing is nervousness for her. Cause they did it when I first got them.