Rat Eye Infection - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Rat Eye Infection

Hi...I've got three foster rats that I am about to send to their homes...but I noticed this morning that one of them has some sort of eye infection. There is pussy-gunk in one of her eyes and she leaves it pretty much shut. I tried to wipe it out, but I couldn't get it. I gave her some antibiotics to start, but does anyone know what this could be and how to fix it? I am hoping there's a way I can do it without taking her to the vet because I'd probably get more help from you all than the people they call small animal vets around here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I hope you took her to the vet to know the proper dosage of antibiotic. Seriously, no one here is diagnose, for one it's prohibited, and 2, we can't see the problem. You should seriously take her to the vet. Sorry this post is late but I haven't been on in a few days.

*Missy*
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

well it didn't clear up after a day. I first tried wiping the gunk out again, but then I realized it was actually kind of solid. so I sterilized some tweezers and very carefully removed it. it was way bigger than I thought. absolutely disgusting, but also kind of cool. she was really good, too, I think she knew I was trying to help and didn't even squirm. since it was so huge, it was probably a big relief to have it off her eyeball. anyway, after that I just kept an eye on it (no pun intended) and now she looks fantastic. eyes wide open, not runny, and no more pus. and she wasn't even mad at me, but that big chunk of carrot I gave her afterwards might have helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

She might have just got a scratch in it, then irritated it by scratching it or something. My rat does that once in awhile to his eye, but he cleans it out himself (because after a few minutes it's gone...lol)

*Missy*