Rat & Ferret Playdate? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rat & Ferret Playdate?

So my neighbor/friend got a pet ferret. She's only a baby about 9 months old. I was wondering what you guys would think if we put them together to play?

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ferrets actually hunt and kill rats (as well as rabbits and various rodents). Definitely don't put them together.

Remember, ferrets are actually predators (rats can be too, actually, but to a lesser extent).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The ferret might very well hurt or kill the rats. Don't let them play together.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I was gonna say the same thing!
In france they're used more as rabbit hunters than pets! they love to go run in bunny tunnels to let the bunny out so the hunter can kill it. They have to be trained to not kill the bunny, because in the wild they would eat it!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Maybe they can have a well supervised Sniffing of each other, but other then that, it'd make me nervous putting them together. Sorry, I know it'd be cute seeing a slinky ferret snuggled with a little ratty boy.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

don't even let them sniff each other, The ferret could kill it as fast as you could blink, and the rat will be surely stressed even if the ferret doesn't kill it

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Agree with Kendalle:
If the ferret gets the chance - and sniffing is chance enough - it's going to kill and eat the rat.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Okay, I'm glad you guys told me that. We had no idea and were actully thinking about it.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm glad you asked before trying it out.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I'm glad you asked before trying it out too otherwise you would be burying your ratty :o(

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Attually that is true but I have placed mine together and supervized had not problem. But you must make shure the ferret is well socilized with humends as well as other animals fisrt. Mine were older more laided back and dont have a lick of hunter insticks in them they are scared of their own shadow. But it also depends on the 2 likeing one another. Piont this is something i would not say to do jsut becuase i have I understood the risk in letting them play and when they get to ruff I seperate them. But I only let one attuallu play with them. Ferrets are layed back like rats to a point. Also depending on how young the ferret is the rat could hurt him. They are preditors in the wild but in captivinty they can coniside together. Like the mice and snakes and mice and cats you see, but at any minute that could change. They can evn though domestic all the sudden snap.
I would intor them in sniffing and let them get us to the pressence of one another if you try it it it lunges or trys to go after it then either you cna teach it no or not try it agian.
Diamond

Rat Garth, Ferrets Kodoe the 2nd and Roo
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

As cute as that is, I would NOT recommend the OP even let them sniff each other. I have heard of ferrets killing rats through the bars of a cage. The fact that your ferret and rat got along was a rare exception (and I wouldn't even put them together again, just in case).

It's like putting a mouse with a snake IMO. The snake might not eat the mouse but you wouldn't want to risk it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

Do NOT do it.As almost everyone else said,this is a disaster waiting to happen.Ferrets eat rats and letting them sniff could be dangerous.My old neighbour used to bring his ferret over many yrs ago when I first got rats and the ferret would always be at the rat cages and the fish tanks trying to hunt the rats/fish.Back then I didn't know much about ferrets and didn't know they were predators of rats,fortunatly I never actually let the rats out while the ferret was there.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Just thought it'd be a compromise. But everyone's right!

And Diamond, you let your CAT in the rat cage, so you're a big exception to all this. >.>
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
Attually that is true but I have placed mine together and supervized had not problem. But you must make shure the ferret is well socilized with humends as well as other animals fisrt. Mine were older more laided back and dont have a lick of hunter insticks in them they are scared of their own shadow. But it also depends on the 2 likeing one another. Piont this is something i would not say to do jsut becuase i have I understood the risk in letting them play and when they get to ruff I seperate them. But I only let one attuallu play with them. Ferrets are layed back like rats to a point. Also depending on how young the ferret is the rat could hurt him. They are preditors in the wild but in captivinty they can coniside together. Like the mice and snakes and mice and cats you see, but at any minute that could change. They can evn though domestic all the sudden snap.
I would intor them in sniffing and let them get us to the pressence of one another if you try it it it lunges or trys to go after it then either you cna teach it no or not try it agian.
Diamond

Rat Garth, Ferrets Kodoe the 2nd and Roo
That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen a person do with their pets, just so they can have some cute pictures. You couldn't do anything at all if your ferrets decided to bite your rat, the cage is even between you!

That's just disgusting to me that someone would be willing to risk their pets' well being like that because "ZOMG GUYZ I HAVE A SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE FERRUT AND HES SOOPER SPESHUL BECUZ OF MY TRAINING".

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Closed Thread