rat food causing cancer? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

rat food causing cancer?

So I was sitting here thinking about going vegan for a while (or having vegan meals/days) and looking for soy free stuff due to the fact soy has been proven to cause issues in human males.

Now that I think about it, many higher class rat foods (including Harlan Teklad) boast about being vegan and using soy. I occasionally give meat meals to my rats (crickets, eggs, some dog food...so on) and they are as healthy as can be. Is it possible its the soy in rat food that causes cancer (seeing as rats are well known for it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I honestly wouldn't doubt that it causes cancer in rats. Soy is known as the estrogen plant; if pregnant women consume a lot of soy, it's been known to actually give them female babies because of the overwhelming amount of estrogen that Soy contains which suppresses testosterone.

I've also read that 90% of the world's population of Soy has been genetically modified. From what I've read, genetically modified grains don't *seem* to have an effect on humans, but I wouldn't doubt that they could, and have had effects on other critters.

So yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. After all, in the wild, a rat's diet would include meat products.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Makes me wonder if it could also be the reason my last rescue (a siamese buck named Eddy) had his seizure/stroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Rodentologist

There is actually some research suggesting the soy may have cancer preventative properties. There was an in-depth discussion about it on GooseMoose:

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...26.msg4758443/,

I've personally included soy in all of my rescue rat's diets. However, I have removed all corn from "pet product" based sources since most of it is animal grade and contaminated with aflatoxins. I also personally feed a primarily vegetarian diet to my rats. I supplement with small amounts of meat. Although meat is a natural part of a rat diet, they are primarily scavengers and it wouldn't make up a primary portion.

Since I started this diet, I haven't had any mammary tumors in any rats at my house. (I foster for a rescue, so I've had approximately 50 over the past few years). I have had one with a lung tumor, one with a pituitary tumor (which manifested only a day after being pulled from the shelter, poor thing), and one with tumor behind her eye, and all of my rats are rescues from unknown sources.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Assuming soy is like rice, sunflower seeds, and just about everything else with a "skin" then maybe less of the estrogen is even being administered...seeing as Harlan uses "dehulled" soy.

I'm skimpy on it "replacing" the hormone...seems more logical to add to. Maybe it does influence cancer (along with genetics of course) but its the removal of the outer portion that keeps it from actually being a main factor?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Rodentologist

I'm not sure if that affects it or not. I use roasted whole soy nuts in my mix so they get hulls and all.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Maybe...cause cooking is known for its decreasing nutritional value. Hah so I guess there is some pros to decreasing nutrition =]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i don't think soy could give female babies. It is the X from the mom and the X from the dad, if its male then its X from mom and Y from dad...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

yeah def. not. If anything the males would come out with lower testosterone levels which would strain development.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
i don't think soy could give female babies. It is the X from the mom and the X from the dad, if its male then its X from mom and Y from dad...
That's what I thought.

I don't think soy or anything for that matter (other then genetic engineering) can change the gender of an unborn child.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

not change but people can pick...lol

Tags
bucks, cancer, male, rats