Rat foods??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Rat foods???

I have read many sites on whats good for my new little rattie girls. some have said Romain lettuce but not iceburg....but what about other greens...such as Collard, Dandelion, Mustard, Turnip...?
And how about things like Super worms for some protein? I know being hairless they need a bit more protien...but how much daily?
You see I have a Bearded Dragon and a RES Turtle and these are things they eat as well...I know I cannot feed the rats this all the time but...if they can eat meal worms I am guessing once they are big enough they should be able to eat other feeder bugs such as super worms?
I want them to have a healthy diet with a variety of foods.
They are still only little(5wks)...is there anything they cannot have while still so small?
We feed our dogs high quality food, Blue Seal Pork and Barley (no corn wheat or soy) so I have given them a cpl pieces of this kibble, and the hamster mix seeds and dried friuts pellets...and some cheerios...I am going to plan on making my own foods the hamster mix was just to get started

Oh and before I knew it I fed them a bit of green beans uncooked...they seem fine that was 4days ago...anything worriesome I should watch for?

Thanks,
Tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Lentils are good for mice and rats, um...iceberg lettuce should not be given to any critter - and even romaine lettuce should be given in limited amounts. I don't know what foods you should stay away from - they're rats, they can eat anything and survive, lol, doesn't mean that they should eat ANYTHING.

All I can tell you, is that raw pork is toxic to all critters unless cooked(you feeding your dogs Blue Seal Pork reminded me to mention that fact about raw pork), dried fruits should be avoided - it's not something any critter; hamster, rat, mouse, etc...should be eating on a daily basis. Veggies and Fruits should be limited to a small amount, sparingly. Do they eat the dog kibble?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes they do eat the kibble or at least they did the first cpl days...not so sure they are eating it now...I would not feed raw meat of any sort to my pets so no worries.
Oh wait, thats wrong...I do feed the turtle some raw fish at times and I guess live feeders would constitute raw...
But the Blue Seal pork and Barley is a very high quality dog food, and has helped my dogs tremendously...one had constant skin infections (fungal) and the other constant ear infections...and since switching no issues...well one mild ear infection this summer, cleared up quick with treatment and did not return. They seem happy and more stamina...and I only switched from regular Blue seal.
I do not feed iceburge lettuce to anyone in my house including the kids and husband...hubby occasionally buys it for tacos but if up to me it would be romain or baby spinach...Kids love when daddy buys it! haha!
Just I feed the reptiles greens high in nutrients so I figured maybe the mice would like this too...they are getting a bit of chicken breast tonight (thats on supper menu)

I was worried about the green beans cause I read that uncooked they cause blood clotting issues or something...cannot remember.

Anyway thanks for the advice.
Tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Um, I know for guinea pigs and rabbits it's not advised to feed raw beans like...kidney beans, or instance, I shouldn't think green beans apply to that rule though. I thought you would've noticed by now had them eating the green beans been bad for them.

I'm sure the mice will love the cooked chicken - so long as there's no seasoning on it or anything.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rats can eat all kinds of things. I try to limit their snacks to healthy foods. They will get just as excited about a bit of carrot as a potato chip, so I think it's better to stick with things that are natural/healthy. Raw green beans should be fine.

With that in mind, here is a list of foods to avoid from http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html

Quote:
Generally, if you would eat a food, you can give it to your rats. Here are some exceptions and notables:
raw dry beans or peanuts—contains antinutrients that destroy vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes red blood cells to clump
raw sweet potato—contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach
green bananas—inhibits starch-digesting enzymes
green potato skin and eyes—contain solanine, a toxin
wild insects—can carry internal parasites and diseases
raw bulk tofu—can contain bacteria, packaged raw tofu is safe
orange juice—forbidden for male rats only, d-limonene in the skin oil, which gets into the orange juice during squeezing, can cause kidney damage and kidney cancer due to a protein that only male rats have in their kidneys. Pieces of the orange fruit are okay if you wash the orange-skin oil off of it after peeling it.
The orange juice point would apply to any citrus fruit. It's the rind that contains the bad stuff but I just stay away from citrus altogether with my boys because I feel it's better not to take any risks.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's a link to a great list of safe fruit and vegetables for rats, from A to Z:

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/communit...hp?f=7&t=64533

This has given me some good ideas for ways to vary my boys' veggie intake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If the dog food and high quality you can always google the Suebees diet and make your own mix. Most rat diets should have a staple such as a lab block or a high quality dog food. The other ingredients shouldn't cost that much and you should be able to feed it to your hamsters as well.

You should try to avoid feeding a hamsters mix to the rats, the seeds are very fattening and unhealthy.

*Missy*
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I use rat food that is made for rats with dog and cat food mixed in as more a treat I make my own food and the mix I make is a 50 pound bags worth this last me 3 to 6 months. I have used gerbil and hamster food but not much. they love the wild bird feed with or with out the corn but I keep some corn in the mix to help with the teeth filling along with chew treats. I also us Ferret food so the dog and cat food are lower are cheeper in the Protine becuase the ferret food takes that place. But again this is more a treat. Then I take the lab blocks both food and sunset treat blocks and add in the mix. Along with cron flakes and brain flakes. I have used raisin brain becuase the rasins are like a hiden treat they love. They also get freash veggies very other day, I have over a 100 rats but only 59 are perminet. So they get like a big toss salid. They get carroits, green beans, Some brocly it give mine gas, Lettus Romain. Celerey, Dryed bananas a little or freash riasens or grapes, Green Pepers, and blue berrys or straw berrys on the rare ocsions. I plan on making alittle garden next year for me and them. Help save on money and this way I know whats going into my plants.
I also Give them Meal worms that i get from my parents Bait Shop which are the same thing as super worms but super worms are feed to super size them. I should know I grew up in the fishing world of bait. They love nightcrawlers and red worms to them that is chocolate. I get everything from my parents becuase all the sruff has to be checked before its brougth in or sold. wax worms once in a while. the dwarf hamster love them I give them when they are prego. They go nutts over it and eggs.
I cook for them as well. I have given them pancakes plain and corn bread. i made them a cake with cron bread and put molasis on top of it and then cut it and put in the fridge. the rest I froze this is not something as in every day but a 1 a week treat ok. I love in the summer making fruit and veggies icecubs for them or take cool aid the one that has not add suger or or the kid they have that is foe diebetics were there is not suger. Ushally I do it with a bit of strawberry or apple inside or plain.
I fogot to menchen apples and uncookposta noddles.
this is not for every one only you can determin what makes your ratty happy and healthy and always get them regualer check ups
Diamond
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all...
I have been researching foods that are good and what to avoid...I also appreciate hearing from owners what they like to feed their Rat Babies...since I have a lizard and a turtle that eat mostly greens (Collard, Mustard, Turnip, Dandelion) and feeder insects/worms> mainly supers, and crickets & some wax worms as treats...I figured if I could give some of this to my ratties I would not end up throwing away as much that gets spoiled especially the greens...
and with having dogs on high quality kibble I could use this as well...
I do have to say my little girls loved the plain yogurt they had this moring and they also like the organic (homemade) peanut butter doggie biscuit they sharred last night.

Thanks again.
Tanya
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Yogert is a great treat plain mine love i will take it and mix meal worms in a dish and oh the rats go nuts. The babies ushally try to eat the hard foods after so long but i have seen them taking stuff from moms mouth thats how they learn what to eat. I have given them bread the babies that is, yogert, oatmeal plain or with fruits, their is also a babie formula you can make to feed them to help them out. I have given them kitten formula mixed with soft kitten food and weat bread and they love it. although some perfur mom still.
There is no wrong way to really feed a rat as long as you give them stuff they need as in the right amount that they require , fat, protine, fiber, grains, and soforth and stay away from the bad food. I hope you have good luck and ocasinaly give them a little bit of pizza or stake is ok but not a every day thing for their diet. Icecream perfuably the all natural kind. No chocolate although I have heard some misconsections about it say that it can help them for something. But i cant remember what it was. cracker, bones they can have, I give mine chicken and chicken bone which i was told by one of the AFRMA they could have. chesse as a treat. anyhtign you woudl eat they can eat only with some exceptions its easery to look up Foods they cany have becuse there are less then the ones they can have.
Good luck
Diamond
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
Yogert is a great treat plain mine love i will take it and mix meal worms in a dish and oh the rats go nuts. The babies ushally try to eat the hard foods after so long but i have seen them taking stuff from moms mouth thats how they learn what to eat. I have given them bread the babies that is, yogert, oatmeal plain or with fruits, their is also a babie formula you can make to feed them to help them out. I have given them kitten formula mixed with soft kitten food and weat bread and they love it. although some perfur mom still.
There is no wrong way to really feed a rat as long as you give them stuff they need as in the right amount that they require , fat, protine, fiber, grains, and soforth and stay away from the bad food. I hope you have good luck and ocasinaly give them a little bit of pizza or stake is ok but not a every day thing for their diet. Icecream perfuably the all natural kind. No chocolate although I have heard some misconsections about it say that it can help them for something. But i cant remember what it was. cracker, bones they can have, I give mine chicken and chicken bone which i was told by one of the AFRMA they could have. chesse as a treat. anyhtign you woudl eat they can eat only with some exceptions its easery to look up Foods they cany have becuse there are less then the ones they can have.
Good luck
Diamond
Ugh...of course there is a way to feed a rat wrong. Too much protein is NOT good for them in any way, the lower the protein in the diet the better, sugar and fats are bad too and all these lead to future health issues.
A rat's diet has to cover a lot of different requirements which is why lab blocks were created to have an all-in-one diet that you can supplement. It has just the right amount of vitamin K that rats need for all sorts of health issues, #1 being blood clotting, whereas dog kibble doesn't have enough. Rats get their energy from carbs and dog kibble doens't have enough which is why Suebee's Mix has the grains/veggies part of the diet to balance it all out
Here is the Forbidden Foods List

http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm

Chocolate is sugar but dark chocolate can be used as a bronchodilator in times of respiratory distress...it opens up the airways temporarily.
Watch the dairy (no ice cream unless its a lick as a treat) since some rats are lactose intolerant.

(see look, new paragraph!)
Jems, hairless or double rex rats (which your girls are) don't need extra protein, but they will eat more and poop more as their metabolism is faster.

Yep, yet another new paragraph as I am switching topics...

Diamond, how many types of animals are you breeding??? You have 100 rats? How can you have time to post all this stuff all the time if you have 100 rats?
What is their care like if you have other species??
I would love to know cages, vet care, how much they get out, etc?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

lilspaz you need to leave me alone really. Double rexes and hairless need extra protine and fat to produce heat. AND THE SUE B DIET IS NOT A RECOMENED DIET SUITABLE FOR A RAT this is from many vets I have talked to and THE AFRMA. Its ok but you need to have more. 2 all my rats are heathy and also I may not spell as corectly as you may like but I have stated before my rats are sorta cramped right now becuase I am in the prosess of building them cages. I need to get the suplys and trust me I have planty of time plus am able to clean a house cook supper and have more then enought time for them also I dont live by my self I have a fieonec and he also helps me out. so yes cages righ now are cramped but if F-en retards would quike steeling my extra cages then I would have room for every one. and 2 they perfectly happy and healthy.
I am tired of trying to clarifi my self all the time becuase there are scertin questions I ask and you and others yell at me becuase if I'm a breeder i should know. really funny how the one breeder that had breed for 14 years dont know some answers becuase some breeders only breed certin type and caots and dont deal with the over all hole variety of rats. Also its 4:23 here so this is my time I post or when i am posting and website building then my fieonce takes over.
My vet is Dr. Ronnie Shankind. I have only had to take 3 of my rats offically to the vet. They dont get regualer check ups unless they apear to be sick but I am before winter or this spring gonna start takeing poop and pee samples from them and take at lest 2 rats each 2 males 2 females and get blood work done becuase if one is sick with something the othes may have it. 2 in the state of PA your not reguiered or get them vet checked, or anything that still dont mean you should not. But I would know if there is something worng with them and to take them to the vet.
ALSO IF YOU READ YOU WOULD SEE THAT MY MIX I MAKE IS A 50 POUND BAGS WORTH OR MORE. so what i have mixed is equvilent to what they need in their diet. I have owned rats for years as pets all liveing from 3 to 5 years and dieing of old age except one who was breed by an moron and kept them out side and half of them ran lose I had her for 3 month she was only 5 months old and she got cancer and it spred quickly she was prone to it becuase of bad breeding which i found out from my vet. she with in 3 weeks deveolped a lump even on meds and no suger options becuase it was at a level the vet couldnt do anything nore remove it.
I am really getting tired of being conterdicted when all my info comes from exsperience and The ARFMA and The Chunkey Monkey rattery in Kane PA and who is assoeated with the Rats of Reading PA and Ry's rattery the national rat and the ARFMA.
and rats need more then just lab blocks and round here no one likes them becuase there rats wont eat them and they are sickly looking when they feed them the blocks I have the blocks in my mix and at one time feed them the blocks and freash veggies and fruit and like my vet siad they need more in their diet then just that. granted the blocks are in my food mix becuase some do like them. also dog and cat food is their meat suppliment.
Also I can have up to 10 rats at a time in my bath tub for play time and some stay in their some get out and run around but they cant get into anything so if I have to do house work and leave them in the bath room for outside time becuse they have more then enough things to entertine them selves so that when I am in their they ecnore me and play. But its rat proffed and they cant get into anything or nothing.
Also I plan on malking this fall winter 2 walkin cages like a bird avery were you see peopel that have made a big brid cage they can walk in so that way I can take a chair in the cage and sit down and play with them. I just have to get the suplys and use my dads tools (along with his help) to build it. I could built it my self but the only time me and my pops get along is when we are doing manly things, building stuff, remodling, cars, stuff like that.
Also I was told by diffrent vets that I can feed them dog and cat food as in in the food mix to suppliment mean in their diet but its a cheeper brand called ever pet form the Dollar store which had what my cats need plus they also get a little kitten chow plus indoor cat chow and they eat our left overs. I give puppy food, eggs, and more things to the female that are prego before breedig while nursing and a little after weening them.Also I had yes a 100 rats but only 59 are staying the rest are ready to rehome which is about 30.
Also I breed, Dwarf hamsters, Mice, Gerbils and soon G-pigs. and trust me all my critters get attechen and the love that they need. weather we are working an odd job or not. Curently no I dont have a job nore dose my fieonce and we do live on a fixed income right not but I also help out the spaca and in return they help me becuase they are running out of room for all the unwanted stray cats and dogs aroudn here. Also thier are no jobs here and in the surounding areas I live in PA and we are the highest state for unimplyment right now. Dose that mean I skimp on their care NO dose that mean I dont take them to the vet NO my vet has known me since I was little and knows my situataion and I am trying to get loans and grants to go become a vet with my vets recomendation.
I'm so tired of this getting questioned about what I do. I breed for show and pet quality ok. there taken care of and their not suffering. round here rats are so poor quality of show markings its retarded. so their is much work to be done.
Besides if you want to ask me question start a Diamond post so I dont have to answer or clarifie my self on some one ealses post and they get thier qustion answered.
Take your rats to the vet have them tested to see if they have to much protine they are taken in and what not and the vet can help you figer out the corect diet for them to be on. some rats like people have problems lith tyroyed or diebeties. And some dont show it till later on only you, your vet and your rat can tell you they are getting to much of something or to less. Every rats diet is diffrent. My double rexes need the extrs fat and protine to generate heat for that is what the ARFMA told me and if their worng then I supose thier not that great.
with every post i make seems like you and others are there to contradict all I say when most of my advice is from the ARFMA.
I'm done it god I came on her to share pictures and talk to other rat loves and so far I get bagered and basicly kicked. I'm tired of it I'm about ready to leave and jsut stick the the emails and on the phone and not verture out to find other rat lovers becuase there are the protend rat lovers and the real ones. And I cant stand it any more. everyone has there own OP and ways of doign things and I get freedom of spech to disagree but all you have to do is say I dont agress fully or at all this is what i do. God this is nuts.
I'm a respectable breeder and everyone comes to me for pets. also I have had peoeple and former friends try to trune me in before and the spaca had checked me out and i have gotten stuff from the vets saying that what I do how i keep them and feed them is not worng. Also non of my rats have ever died except one becuase of the wrong food diet they were on.
you know what I'm done I. tired of this being called stupid on other post and told that iresponicible I dont care what you think or really say I know what I'm doing and when you have a problem next time with a rat or what ever and you post it I'm gonna be right there to tell you what to do. and tell you what it prably is and be right.
All my pets get feed, they are healthy and they get attechen. Even when I worked I still had all the time in the world for them becuase I made time. The only reason I dont work is becuase I feel at work after being hired knowing my knee was sprined and fell on the ice and have no ACL which holds the knee in place in the front. And I'm on limited work becuase of it becuae it pops in and out but the doctors aroudn here will no due sugery one me becuase I'm only 27 i can deal with is when I already have atheritis in it and as I sit here typing its on ice.
POINT MY ANIMALS COME 1ST. I'v told you in other post if you read them sorry about my spelling I dont sell that good and the spell check thing on here will not open up on my computer.
2 chcoloate in chocolate in my book.
Diamond
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

100 rats and 3 vet visits hmmm? Breeding how many species of animals? I think I shall put up a post. You'll love it

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

yeah i seen your post and sorry I dont fall under that cadigory. I can take all my animals you dont have to get a pet reguarly checked up. Point I have all my animals claeared health wise and also I know what site you got that post off of becuase the chick who has it on her site is part of the Rat meet up groups which I'm a part of are you? no your not.
So what if I have diffrent breeds dont spend the time with them or car for them properly and I dont have rats breeding with thier own kin and if i did it woould be a called a line breed which I follow the AFRMA. Point you just gelouse and wine and complain about how things have gone for you becuase I can take care of many you can only take care of one. So what have lots of animlas and breed them dont make me a BYB if I have papers and 2 you have no room to talk no do yah. no you dont. this subject is done. You'r not singleing me out but cuase I'm not falling for your game. this is pointless becuase you must not read what type.
There is another chick on her that has 100 some or did have rats dont see you messing with her? their is others on here that breed and have lots of pets and breed more then one kind. You dont bother them. dont what probelm is whith me but you need to get off your PMS and stop trying what doing becuase its not going to work been there done that before an I alway win.
Diamond
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
yeah i seen your post and sorry I dont fall under that cadigory. I can take all my animals you dont have to get a pet reguarly checked up. Point I have all my animals claeared health wise and also I know what site you got that post off of becuase the chick who has it on her site is part of the Rat meet up groups which I'm a part of are you? no your not.
So what if I have diffrent breeds dont spend the time with them or car for them properly and I dont have rats breeding with thier own kin and if i did it woould be a called a line breed which I follow the AFRMA. Point you just gelouse and wine and complain about how things have gone for you becuase I can take care of many you can only take care of one. So what have lots of animlas and breed them dont make me a BYB if I have papers and 2 you have no room to talk no do yah. no you dont. this subject is done. You'r not singleing me out but cuase I'm not falling for your game. this is pointless becuase you must not read what type.
There is another chick on her that has 100 some or did have rats dont see you messing with her? their is others on here that breed and have lots of pets and breed more then one kind. You dont bother them. dont what probelm is whith me but you need to get off your PMS and stop trying what doing becuase its not going to work been there done that before an I alway win.
Diamond
You claim too much Diamond, and that is why I go after your posts. I have a lot more than 2 here that's for sure! I take in rescues, the debris from breeders like you who mass produce.

Let's see vet care in the last month? I have had a tumor removed from an old girl (who is doing amazing btw), I had to have her daughter pts after 2 radical surgeries because of a recurring abdominal abscess...these 2 were from "breeders". I have had 2 rats pts (you let yours die at home?), 2 boys neutered, shall I continue?

Jealous? I think not. I have many wonderful little ratfriends here...I have taken care of rescue litters, know many ethical breeders, have been accepted to an exclusive forum for breeders...are you there? I think not. Btw I don't think Nicole would like being called a "chick".

I know basics of breeding which you don't. Tell me the lines of your rats...what ratteries are in their backgrounds? What is your rattery's goal? Do you have a website? What is your adoption application?...
I was a member of NARR (I forgot to renew but will very soon again).
I also helped organize a huge rat rescue/transport that adopted out 120 rats from a place 9 hours drive from me. I ran a raffle to fund the vet bills and costs that would be incurred during this wonderful effort. This was from a "rescue" who had 100 rats and couldn't keep up...it had become a hoarding situation.

Enough? You might want to google my name before saying "I am jealous"

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack