rat good mix? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Question rat good mix?

can anyone recomend a good recipie of rat food? i was wanting otgive my rats something mroe interesting to eat than their normal rat pellets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:08 PM

Hi. Here's a recipe I know lots of people like to use.

http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

..... this is the one I use (Shunamite Diet) but it's UK based, so the ratsrule diet will probably be better for you if you're USA based.

http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/diet.html

My rats love the mix they have and as they love their food so much, I like to give them a mix as it means they're getting a healthy but also varied diet. They get lots of 'fresh' stuff too, this is the diet they have as their dry mix though. Hope this helps anyway!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

thankies^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 PM

You're very welcome!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 PM

>> roasted, unsalted soy nuts <<

?? I have no idea who has those, or even if they have them.

>> dried fruits
Dried bananas and cranberries <<

The only ones I can find have added sugar and often preservatives.

Other than those, I could make this stuff.

How would it be for mice, since mice are all I have??

BTW, I would also need another brand of dog food other than "Innova", which I never heard of.

P.S. I have no time for mail orders.

Last edited by Zouave; 12-03-2005 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
>> roasted, unsalted soy nuts <<

?? I have no idea who has those, or even if they have them.

>> dried fruits
Dried bananas and cranberries <<

The only ones I can find have added sugar and often preservatives.

Other than those, I could make this stuff.

How would it be for mice, since mice are all I have??

BTW, I would also need another brand of dog food other than "Innova", which I never heard of.

P.S. I have no time for mail orders.
Those ingredients can be found at most health food stores .

I'd assume any high quality brand of dog food would be fine...like California Natural or Chicken Soup For The Doglover's Soul...which foods are available where you are?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:08 AM

Hi. The dog foods usually recommended are the light/senior versions as they're not too high in protein.

The soya nuts have anti-cancer fighting properties, which is why they're recommended, as rats are so prone to tumours.

Lots of people that have mice feed this mixture to their mice and rats, so I'd say 'yes', it should be ok for them.

I agree about the dried fruits - Alison chose to leave those out of the UK version of this diet as rats don't really eat them anyway. Better to give them fresh every so often.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Roasted, unsalted soy nuts you could probably find in any grocery store. I found them over by the fruits and veggies, there was a small shelf that had them along with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and the dry fruit was over there as well.

Some people will leave out the dry fruit, and just give them fresh fruit instead. From the Ratsrule site~
"The bananas offer potassium, and cranberries are good for the urinary tract" So there was a purpose to adding them.

If anyone really does want to add dry fruit though, and is just worried about the added sugars, etc...you can order from here~ http://www.justtomatoes.com/html/1fruits.html
It's just dried fruit, they don't add anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Those ingredients can be found at most health food stores .

I'd assume any high quality brand of dog food would be fine...like California Natural or Chicken Soup For The Doglover's Soul...which foods are available where you are?
I don't have a dog but big names such as Iams or Purina seem common. I could look next time I am at the store.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanlou
Hi. The dog foods usually recommended are the light/senior versions as they're not too high in protein.

The soya nuts have anti-cancer fighting properties, which is why they're recommended, as rats are so prone to tumours.

Lots of people that have mice feed this mixture to their mice and rats, so I'd say 'yes', it should be ok for them.

I agree about the dried fruits - Alison chose to leave those out of the UK version of this diet as rats don't really eat them anyway. Better to give them fresh every so often.
Senior type dog food, OK.

Dried fruits. Some come with added sugar and preservatives; some do not. But those that do not also have a lot of [i]natural]/i] sugar which might not be too bad in limited amounts (?).

The commercial "Rat and Mouse" food I commonly see (Sun Seed Vita) has pieces that are clearly designed for rats - I have to spend a lot of time with a clipper breaking up the too big pieces.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Roasted, unsalted soy nuts you could probably find in any grocery store. I found them over by the fruits and veggies, there was a small shelf that had them along with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and the dry fruit was over there as well.

Some people will leave out the dry fruit, and just give them fresh fruit instead. From the Ratsrule site~
"The bananas offer potassium, and cranberries are good for the urinary tract" So there was a purpose to adding them.

If anyone really does want to add dry fruit though, and is just worried about the added sugars, etc...you can order from here~ http://www.justtomatoes.com/html/1fruits.html
It's just dried fruit, they don't add anything.
I will look for the soy nuts.

Raisins and dried plums (prunes), and such, are very heathy foods for many reasons, but they do have a lot of sugar. I worry about giving any to dwarf hamsters who are prone to diabetes, but a little to rats and mice can't be bad.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Would you say that these would work for mice as well? I read this post and I've been thinking about it because I thought I could save some money in the long run making my own food mixes. If I stored them properly, I'm sure they would stay fresh. I currently store my mouse food in a peanut jar. But would this mix work for mice?

*Missy*
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Hey,
I feed my rats a wide variety of things like dried fruits (they love dried bannanas) and soy nuts are good. They're main diet is lab blocks though. I have a much more complete section on my site about rat diets and it may give you some ideas. Be sure to check it out at www.pxrats.com/ratfood.html
It may help you out.
Amy

Tags
chicken soup, dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, health food store, lab block, lab blocks, pumpkin seeds, rat food, sunflower seeds