rat handling help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question rat handling help

i just got 2 male rats and i tryed to pick them up up they just run from me is that normal, and i don't know what to do should i just pet them till they trust me enough to let me pick them up .

MATT SIMPSON (RATMAN)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

You should leave them alone for a while to let them adjust to thier new home. Rats usually aren't terribly skittish, so they'll probably warm up to you quickly. Just give them time to get used to you and trust you. I bet you'll be able to hold them in no time!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Becki, they'll need a few days to settle. In the meantime you can talk to them to get them used to your voice and you can also put something in their cage that has your scent (like a t-shirt you've been wearing). It's supposed to help them get used to your scent...though I've actually never tried it before.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Newborn Pup

I know when I got Mavis and Beulah, Mavis wasn't too sure about the new "people rat" in her life, Beulah thought it was great, but I just threw on a couch cover and we all hung out on the couch for an hour or more each night (and some time during the days). Exploring,chittering and being held for a few minutes at a time. After a day or so it was a routine they looked forward to for the next year and a half.
When Beulah died a few months back, I got Louise and Basil so that Mavis wouldn't be so lonely. And did the same thing,(by then I learned to have several rotating couch covers for rat time).
Since Basil proved to be pregnant (geeze) There are now 6 girls having couch time every night and after they have tired there are 6 boys having couch time.
Once a rat is settled in with you they will look forward to coming out and spending time with you, so much they will raise cain when it is time to go in and try to guilt you out everytime you are in range of the cage. Nothing looks more pityful than a rat holding onto the cage peering out at you and looking like they never, never get out to play....ever!
Mine have Day Condo's, (sunshine and fresh air on the porch) and then they have their night sleeping cages inside.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM

Yea my rat does the same thing!!! i put my hand in his cage and he like bites it. I have looked alll over the web about rats and nothing has worked.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas-Priest View Post
Yea my rat does the same thing!!! i put my hand in his cage and he like bites it. I have looked alll over the web about rats and nothing has worked.
This thread is from 2004!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Playful Pup

hehehe... I just noticed that. Hmm... I'm gonna have to make sure I pay attention to the dates on the original notes.

Deb

RIP Sienna

Current pets:
* Abby (9 yr old choc lab)
* Mandy (4 yr old yellow lab mix)
* Smokey (11 yr old grey cat)
* Daphne (2 yr old black cat)
Newly arrived!
* Two male rats -- 5 month old Izzy (black & white broken hooded) and 2 yr old Riff-Raff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTek View Post
hehehe... I just noticed that. Hmm... I'm gonna have to make sure I pay attention to the dates on the original notes.

Deb
It's okay.I have done it a few times before too...but now I tend to check the dates.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I check the dates if I don't recognize the name of the people posting.

*Missy*