Rat Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rat Help

hello...I have a wonderful hairless female rat who is getting old and has developed a mid-size tumor on her chin area. it was not visibly affecting her lifestyle before. however, last night, she scratched the skin open, and she now basically has two flaps of skin and a big open wound on her face. she is clearly in pain and there is no hope in my mind of this wound ever healing, especially as she is already so old. the problem is, I live in a secluded area when I'm not at school, and there are NO vets that will see rats at all. I am a pre-vet student, and have euthanized mice in a lab with the vet anesthetics halothane and isoflurane before...but I do not know where to obtain this for personal use. does anybody have any suggestions or information that can help me? I feel terrible that this has happened and want the rest of her life to be as painless and comfortable as possible. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

eek thats a hard one
when I had my rat uthinized due to cancer
i took him to a vet it cost 10dollars
it might be worth the trip into town to have him put down
the only other thing is you can call around and see if you can get it to take home.....
tell them you want to uthinize you're no good cheeten lying boy friend ha ha ha just kidding of course.....
I have a crazy sense of humor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Will It Ever Change?

umm....i'm pretty sure those substances require liscenced users and dispensaries....you probably would have to take it in to your school to use those substances, or you might have to just put her down *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Why don't you take her to the vet? If you love the rat it would be worth the ride into town. Even thought she's old she might not have to be euthanized. Many vets try to avoid that. It's worth calling around and seeing what can be done.

*Missy*
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Loves Being Generic

i agree that you should take her to the vet good luck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I honestly do think you should take her to the vet..I'm a couple hours away from either vet& if my pets need help I find a ride...please take the sweetheart to a vet

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

Call around to see if there are any rat vets somewhere close to you.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Part of the Pack

You might be able to use ethier, but do some research on the internet first. Too bad theres no vets in the area that will see rats.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

Even if a vet does not treat rats they could still put one to sleep. People bring in hurt wild animals to local vets all the time and they euthanized them. Call around to see if you can find any that treat rats and get her looked at. If not, have one of the non rat vets put her down. Or like others said, you can always bring her to school and put her to sleep there. But, as you may know, being a pre vet student, when you put an animal to sleep it is very heart breaking because they do fight it and show some signs of discomfort. So be prepared to deal with that. And if you can't, have a vet do it. (Which would be the ideal thing)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Still Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Why don't you take her to the vet? If you love the rat it would be worth the ride into town. Even thought she's old she might not have to be euthanized. Many vets try to avoid that. It's worth calling around and seeing what can be done.
I AGREE! And if she doesn't have to be euthanized then you would have saved her life. Take her to the vet, even if it does mean more work on you.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well just to update you all, the vet agreed that it was best to put her to sleep. but the office was very, very compassionate and professional. I miss my baby girl very much, but at least I know it was the right thing to do. if anyone lives in South Florida, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Kelleher at Broward Avian and Exotic.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Still Waiting

Aw, I am so sorry about your lost, but it was the best thing to do. She is in a better place now and she will always be with you...in your heart and memories. RIP little rattie girl!

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...I am sorry for your loss.R.I.P!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awwww *hugs* i'm sorry for your hunny xoxo just know she's in a safe painless place

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
female rat, male rat, wild animal, wild animals