Rat Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rat Help

I have been thinking really hard about getting a rat and I have decided I want to get one, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice that would help me? Like what kind of cage do I need, what toys should I buy, whats the best thing to feed them. I look forward to your comments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Playful Pup

New Rats

EDIT: Just saw from your profile that you are a mouse owner. Disregard any of this that my be redundant to you.

I'm a new rat owner myself but have done a LOT of reading all over the internet.

You'll kind of need to poke around the internet for a wealth of information on pet rats.

Most will tell you to get rats in same sex pairs and not to get a lone rat.

Cages should be large enough for them to play and climb (multiple levels) http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

There are MANY different options to choose from in cages. They can be store bought or homemade. http://www.dapper.com.au/ Check out the Grotto.

Most information I've found was to feed them lab blocks. EX: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Pet+Type

Bedding: also lots of options just don't use pine or cedar chips. Aspen is fine.

Litter Training: I used Yesterday's News cat litter and it's working fine for me.

Toys can come in all different types and varieties. They can be homemade or store bought. Mine especially love those little jingle balls made for cats. They also have a good time dragging around toilet paper rolls.

Hammocks are also very easy to make. They can cost about 15 bucks to buy but if you just take some fleece or other kind of fabric and put shower hooks in the corners and hang from the cage, you have a hammock for less than a dollar.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice and opinions here.

My Cage (made for about $150)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Despereaux; 12-29-2009 at 12:37 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

For the cage, it needs to be big. You can find out how many rats will fit in the particular cage that you want by using an online rat cage calculator. http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

This is my cage. It can technically hold up to 3 rats, no more, but I have 2 girls in it and they are happy and comfortable.

Try looking at petsmart.com and martinscages.com for other cages.
A big one from petsmart is this- http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3402796 I love this one, its really HUGE. Its a more expensive one, but you can buy it in a half size and it can hold lots of rats comfortably.

Males or females? Well the males get bigger and are lazier, mostly little couch potatoes. They also have big testicles (thats one of those things that bothers people) and they dribble pee. The females dribble pee sometimes too, they are smaller and their fur stays a little bit softer than the males. They are way more active. Mine NEVER sit still. They aren't as cuddly as the males.

Bedding as mentioned you CANNOT have pine or cedar because it can give the animal severe liver damage, lung problems, URI, ect. Aspen woodchips is fine or you can use recycled paper (Carefresh has been known to some rat owners to make them sneeze because it is too dusty) hemp bedding or fleece.

Litter Training really isn't very hard. Just get a litter box, fill it with litter and then when the rats go to the bathroom move the poop into the potty. I use Sunseed brand litter, its very cheap.

For food you can feed a high quality lab block- which they seem to love actually- or a homemade mix. I buy expensive food and lab blocks and sometimes make some too. I buy Reggie Rat Food. http://www.petco.com/product/9192/Su...-Rat-Food.aspx

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks guys for your help I went to a rattery today and picked out 2 female dumbo rats their only newborns right now but thatll give me plenty of time to prepare

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Can't wait for pics once you get them.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats make wonderful pets!!!

You can have a look at Martin's Cages.These are good cages...
www.martinscages.com

Everyone else gave you some good advice.
Many sites say to feed just lab blocks and I found that rats lose weight on just lab blocks.I mix a homemade food that is similar to Suebee's and give them that along with lab blocks and then things like veggies,fruit,bread,rice,crackers and sometimes abit of fish or chicken or some other meat.

I use aspen litter and shredded paper mixed.Pine and cedar is to be avoided as are seed mixes that "claim" to be good for rats.

Rats need at least 1 hour out of their cage every day...more time is better! Rats love exploring.I personally prefer male rats to females,as they are more cuddly and affectionate.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My best advice is, check out lots of books from the library and/or buy yourself some updated books on rat care and information BEFORE deciding on a rat, so you can make absolutely sure you are as informed as possible about their needs before you get them. And, please please get 2 rats, not one. A single rat just does not thrive as well as a pair and they do need company or they can become lonely and depresssed, no matter how much time you spend with them. They still need a buddy.