Rat help. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find the answer. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Rat help. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find the answer.

So I received two new rats yesterday, both from a sisters friend who wanted to give the pups away. When I got them home, however, I noticed that my little siamese dumbo rat seems to have something up with her eye. I haven't noticed it leaking or anything, it just kinda... stays shut, or squints. It's like she is permanently winking at me, but not in a way I'd like her to be winking.

The rat looks like she's still fairly young, and her coat still hasn't turned completely white like a siamese rat does when they mature, so I was wondering if maybe the eye thing is just because she's still little. I'm just worried that it's going to be a problem, since I was really excited about my dumbo rat, and she (so far) has been super sweet, already taking food out of my hand.

However, I have noticed her scratching that particular eye with her paws, so I'm scared. If it helps any, her previous owner had wood bedding, while I bought that paper-y stuff. Could it have just been dust that got in there? If so, what should I do to help her little eye?

I've been contemplating using a Q-tip with some warm water on it to gently wipe her eye, but I'd like to hear other thoughts as well. I can't exactly take her to the vet either, since I pretty much blew all my money on their cage and such, and my mom has already made a point in telling me she wants nothing to do with my critters.

Thank you so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

hmm well until you can save up money to visit a vet, i would do what you already suggested, using a q-tip/papertowel/cotton ball with warm water on the eye. It is very possible she maybe have scratched her eye, which in that case you would want to see a vet. But it is also possible she did just get some dust in there. Definitely clean the eye gently everyday, twice a day, for a few days, and see if things improve.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I'll try that D: I'm worried I'll scare her away, since she's still so new, haha. Her big sister is also so protective of her, always watching me when I look in the cage, and sleeping practically on top of her.

Gonna go try using a q-tip for now. Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Keep your eye on it.
A q-tip with warm water gently will help.But I wouldn't do it too frequently,as that could irritate her eye.It is highly possible she got dust in it.Just keep your eye on it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Part of the Pack

I wouldn't even q-tip with water, unless there is discharge to remove - and even then I would use eye drops or contact saline solution. Anything you do to the eye will likely just irritate it more. It's likely mechanical irritation that will heal just fine on it's own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If she's pure white she is likely himilayan than siamese. Siamese start dark and lighten to a offwhite to a very dark colour, the Himi's start off PEW and get points

Her eye, have you ever seen it? Does it look like this?

Honi's eye was damaged as a pup, so she is one-eyed.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Huh, then I suppose I'll leave it alone for a while, haha. Hopefully it gets a little better on it's own. I've noticed that both of her eyes don't "pop out" as much as my other rat's eyes do as well. She's red-eyed, if that helps.

Lilspaz; Hmm, the person that gave her to me said that she was siamese o: She's a light brown color right now, but I was told that the fur will lighten everywhere except for the nose, which will stay brown :] Obviously, I'm no expert on rat breeds though, haha.

Aww, that poor rat D: Pocky's eye doesn't look quite like that though, and she does open it, just not as wide as her other eye.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 AM

I find similar things but with my mice, sometimes they come out and wonder round but with their eyes almost closed. However if i turn the lights off or at night when it gets dark they go back to normal again.
I think the PE rodents have sensitve eyes to the light, they really mch prefere to come out after dark.
My PEW rats do come out in the day as they can't help themselves, but like you have said their eyes don't bulge as much compared to a dark eyed rat

As for yours, its probably just a bit of dust in the eye, my albinos sometimes get the same and sometimes you also get dried discharge, looks like a brown ring aroud the eye, but it usually sorts itself after a while! but like others have said, just leave it alone and observe, if it gets worse or is still the same in a week i'd take her straight to the vet!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Glad to hear she still has an eye

Yes Siamese start off darker, then fade to a lighter colour but never pure white...a lot of people mistake Himi for Smeezes.
Smeezes also will have the points but not like a himilayn, more a dark shading.

If you look at the 2nd pic of Honi, you will see her sister's butt with its shading. One of their sisters they thought was a beige hoodie.

Back back to your Pocky's eye (great name, I have a girl named Pocky!) you can start with human grade eye ointment...something with a small amount of abs in it, but nothing else. I am in Canada and regularly use (with vet's permission) Polysporin Ointment for Eyes. It can help with the irritation and even if there's a little infection in there as well.

If it doesn't repsond or there is swelling or a lot more discharge then get her to a vet. She may have a piece of bedding stuck under her lid

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Part of the Pack

Terramycin is an excellent eye ointment to have on hand. You can get it at livestock stores, and it's about 11-15.00 for a little tube that lasts a while. It's a good little thing to have on hand. .

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
baby rats, eye help, eye stays shut, rat