Rat losing fur... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Koj
Newborn Pup

Rat losing fur...

Awhile ago one of my rats (and the last now ) started losing fur around his back paws and right above his tail. His fur grew back after those areas were washed everyday. Now, a couple of months later, he's losing fur again and nothing will make it grow back. On his front legs, back legs, back, stomach, and above his tail again. It's not mites...What could be causing it?

He's also got an issue with his leg. Two different vets said nothing is wrong with it...sometimes he'll limp, though. Not like he's in pain, but like he can't use the leg. When he was a baby he held that same leg up like he couldn't move it. Should I get that checked again or just leave it alone? He gets around fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm a fairly new rat owner, but I'll do my best until you get more replies

One reason he could be losing his fur is allergies. What kind of bedding do you use? Sometimes it is too dusty and they can develop an allergy to it even if they have lived on it their whole life. Or a food allergy is also possible. That's about all I can think of other than a URI, but I'm not sure if that makes the hair fall out.

If he had his leg like that ever since he was a baby then it could be genetic. It might be a little bit paralyzed or possible if he had a stroke it can make the legs go out. I can't believe that it would be limp and they would say nothing is wrong? I might get a third opinion if I were you
Best wishes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Koj
Newborn Pup

Allergies...hadn't thought of that. Could he be allergic to Carefresh? That's what we switched to before he was losing fur.
He's getting pretty old now, too...but that doesn't seem to be what's causing it.

As for the leg...it's not always a problem. Some days he can walk on it alright. Others he can't seem to move it at all. He doesn't act like he's in pain...I can poke and pull on that leg and he sits there falling asleep.

Tags
fur loss, rat