rat nail question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

rat nail question

hi...I recently adopted three male rats who now belong to my siblings. I was home this weekend and when I was playing with them, I noticed that the dominant male's nails were all normal, long length, but the other two had obviously shortened nails, though my siblings haven't touched them. I'm wondering how and why this happens, if it's a bad thing, and if it's a dominant/subordinate rat thing or just a coincidence. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

its a coincidence...some have longer nails than others...I trim my rats' nails and I have noticed that they become shorter in the process

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

interesting, thank you. I have another question while I'm here...I've read that male rats sometimes go through an aggressive hormonal phase where they no longer get along with cage mates or their owners. around what age does this usually happen? does it always happen? how long does it last? and lastly, other than neutering, is there any way to lessen the blow? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Usually somewhere between 4 and 8 months, they will chase, scrap, wrestle, hump one another. It can get bad at times, but usually they work it out. The best thing I have found is when they start in on each other, to give them somehing to do- a box stuff with treats adn paper and hay usually works well. Just best to keep an eye on the more submissive one(s) that they are able to get to the food. Keeping a bi-weekly check on weights is a good idea, too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmvlcty
interesting, thank you. I have another question while I'm here...I've read that male rats sometimes go through an aggressive hormonal phase where they no longer get along with cage mates or their owners. around what age does this usually happen? does it always happen? how long does it last? and lastly, other than neutering, is there any way to lessen the blow? thanks!
This does not always happen!I have had male rats for years and never ever had a male get this behavioural problem and a few other people I know who also have/had males never had this problem.It can and do occur in some males tho.As far as I know,the only way to stop it is have them neutered.

As for the nails...well some rats just naturally have really long nails.Some of my rats have long,other have short.I do not trim their nails,but I give them rocks (which have been boiled) for them to run about on and this helps.My male,Zephyr has the sharpest claws out of all my rats,that I know for a fact!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I have battle scars from my rats, some nastier then others. I give them a nail file to play with, it actually helps.

Supervised of course

*Missy*
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
This does not always happen!I have had male rats for years and never ever had a male get this behavioural problem and a few other people I know who also have/had males never had this problem.It can and do occur in some males tho.As far as I know,the only way to stop it is have them neutered.
No, it doesn't always happen- and a lot of times the hormonal problems are nothing more than a little humping, some chasing and snatching food and never last long or when you can witness it. And no, you don't have to have them neutered to stop it. They grow out of it most cases. In some rare cases, they may have to be either seperated or neutered- and then sometimes neutering isn't going to make them get along anyway. You shouldn't be squeemish about some wrestling and squealing and chasing. When it gets to the point that someone is getting injured, being bullied from the food, or it is altering their personality or behavior toward people THEN is the time to consider seperating and reintroducing after surgery. You should be able to tell when your animal is unhappy- that is when you intervene.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennawing
No, it doesn't always happen- and a lot of times the hormonal problems are nothing more than a little humping, some chasing and snatching food and never last long or when you can witness it. And no, you don't have to have them neutered to stop it. They grow out of it most cases. In some rare cases, they may have to be either seperated or neutered- and then sometimes neutering isn't going to make them get along anyway. You shouldn't be squeemish about some wrestling and squealing and chasing. When it gets to the point that someone is getting injured, being bullied from the food, or it is altering their personality or behavior toward people THEN is the time to consider seperating and reintroducing after surgery. You should be able to tell when your animal is unhappy- that is when you intervene.
I have never had a male rat act this way towards me or other rats.Yes,the humping and the chasing...thats all normal rat behaviour.Even females do this.This is not what I was talking about.

I was talking about when a rat becomes agressive to the point he attacks every rat and his human,thats when you have to get him neutered to stop it.

I think you misunderstood my post!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I think you misunderstood my post!
Indeed, I did not. I uinderstood what you were saying, but did not feel that was the information she really needed. mxmvixty has gotten the impression that normal hormonal squabbling is a lot worse than it actually is- just trying to put things in perspective- tell her what to expect and how to deal with it- when to intervene, etc.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 05:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,but see...I wasn't talking about all rats.Like I said I have owned tons of male rats and never have had them become agreesive due to hormones,but it can happen.The chasin,humping and wrestling is normal behaviour and no one should have to worry about these things,as long as they are getting along.You took what I said wrong...but it does matter.Maybe I never explained what I was saying properly,which I often do.

Not EVERY male rat shows aggressive tendencies.From the research I have done,it seems that it is heriditory in most cases.If the father showed agrression towards other rats and humans,then his sons will most likely show aggression.

You and I are talking about different things now and therefore causing confusion.

* Lisa *

Tags
cage mate, male rat, male rats