rat noise - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Thumbs down rat noise

I have two rats that are making a constant weird noise through the night. It’s a raspy clicking noise. (its not teeth grinding). One of the rats had done this since it was a baby… I took him to the vet, and they didn’t find anything wrong with him. He said that he is just fussing. I totally disagree with this. I was thinking he might have a respiratory infection but there are absolutely no other signs other than that strange noise they make when I am trying to sleep. Perhaps the vet knows best… or maybe he had no idea and didn’t want me to know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

It is so hard to know what it is without hearing the noise, hehe. Rats can be vocal little critters, more so than you might think. Still, from your description it does not sound like a good noise. Have you had both rats for long? Sometimes if I rat did have a resp. problem there can be some scaring to the lungs that could cause a rat to be a bit rattly sounding for their entire life afterwards. It does sound like it could be myco related. Does your vet have experience with rats? In my area I have NO good rat vets. It is interesting that you only notice this at night though? Could it be that the house is quieter at night and that is why you notice it than?
Marianne

Marianne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Romping Ratties

There is a possibility they have Myco or some other respiratory infection going on. I too am curious as to why you are hearing this only during the night. If you put your ear up to their chest what do you hear? If you hear congestion then you have an illness on your hands and they should be seen by a qualified vet. I suggest doing some searching online for rat vets in your area. Usually with lung congestion you can hear it all day long. Are you sure they are not chewing on the bars of the cage? I have two does here that do this. My main concern would be that your one has done this his whole life. Myco is something that doesn't go away. Either they have no symptons or they do, and most often it's something that gets worse. For does this can be a problem too if they are not spayed, as Myco can sometimes lead to Pyometra.

First I would suggest looking for a different vet. If you need help locating one in your area let me know and I can try to find something. Just let me know your location. In order to determine if your vet is qualified to care for rats I always ask a few questions first such as:

What bedding do they recommend?
How much experience has he/she had with rats? How long?
Are they willing to learn more from their clients about rats?
Do they know what SDA, Sendai and Myco are?
How many rat patients have they treated?

Another thing to consider is your bedding. What type of bedding do you use? Pine and Cedar of course are not considered a good choice due to toxic phenols in the wood which causes respiratory illness. Aspen, Carefresh Ultra, and Hemp are good bedding choices for rats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

Lets not forget one of the best litter choices for rats. Depending on where you live and if you can get them. Having tried many different types of bedding I have to say that I realy love the wood stove pellets...the ones made for the pellet stoves. They are made from hard wood. Cost is so low..about $3.50 for 40 pounds. I know of other ratteries who also use this and we have seen no problems with this litter at all. As for nesting or bedding, I like cloth better. It is so much healthier. I know that there are people out there who will disagree with me...but I HATE carefresh. I have gotten mites in that nasty stuff....and try using it for a new mommy...eww, paper stuff sticks to the babies...nope, no carefresh around this house. hehe.

Marianne

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverrats
Lets not forget one of the best litter choices for rats. Depending on where you live and if you can get them. Having tried many different types of bedding I have to say that I realy love the wood stove pellets...the ones made for the pellet stoves. They are made from hard wood. Cost is so low..about $3.50 for 40 pounds. I know of other ratteries who also use this and we have seen no problems with this litter at all. As for nesting or bedding, I like cloth better. It is so much healthier. I know that there are people out there who will disagree with me...but I HATE carefresh. I have gotten mites in that nasty stuff....and try using it for a new mommy...eww, paper stuff sticks to the babies...nope, no carefresh around this house. hehe.
I don't recommend Carefresh either. However Carefresh Ultra is a very good bedding. I too would not use it for labor and birth either, because Chloe had a very hard time getting it off her young ones. I've personally have never had bugs from it, I just do not like it because it can be fairly dusty, which is just not healthy for the rats. I don't use cloth just due to the fact that it needs to be taken out everyday, and not having my own washer and dryer makes it pretty much impossible. Of course they have their cloth bedding like their baby blankets to snuggle in, but for a litter on the bottom of the cage I just find it too messy.

I do like the woodstove pellets, but they need to be cleaned very often because once wet they turn into dust, which really aggravates Bandit and Wrinkles Myco symptoms. If the person can clean the cage at least every three days I would say they are fine, and with the price it's a good buy.

Just make sure that the type of pellets you get contain no additives, that it's just plain wood. Some of these pellets contain chemicles that make the wood easier to burn, so that's something you need to watch for.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

if i put my ear up to thier chest i dont even hear nothing. and at night this noise is so loud that it gets hard for me to sleep. its kind of a fussing grunting noise. and i only hear it at night, which makes me think maybe its not health related. i use carefresh bedding and sometimes aspen shavings. is it possible for a rat with myco to not have any respitory infection sympthons other than this noise i am hearing. they seem just fine to me, other than that god forsaken noise
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Romping Ratties

Sounds like they are either chewing on the cage bars (sort of like a loud grinding noise) or they are play fighting. ? I am as confused as you LOL!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

I sure wish I could heat the noise, so I could be of more help. It is just so hard to say otherwise. Where are you located? Maybe I could give you a call sometime. You can email me at [email protected]

It is just so strange for it to be constant at nights. Play noises and even fighting or chewing on bars is not a constant noise. Rats do get more active at night, thus it could be that they are just playing around, and do not do so as much durring the day. As long as there is nothing else going on I would not really worry. I would just make sure that they are not in the bedroom where thier noises will keep you up all night.

Marianne

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverrats

It is just so strange for it to be constant at nights. Play noises and even fighting or chewing on bars is not a constant noise.
I don't believe she said it was a constant noise.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
I have two rats that are making a constant weird noise through the night.
and than maybe you might want to check her most recent post to see the same thing. I know how easy it is to miss little things like that. Don't worry about it. It does sound like just a minor thing, and more of a possible annoyance, if they are kept close to the bedroom, hehe.

Marianne

Last edited by undercoverrats; 04-05-2004 at 05:10 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Romping Ratties

hehe I even went back and read, and I just missed it for some reason!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

after resurce i have came to the conclusion it is scarring of the lungs due to a prolonged past respitory infection. anyone know anyways to help it?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to say but there is nothing that we can do about scaring to the lungs. I have had ratties make that strange noise their entire lives, I have had a few come to me with that problem. They continued to make that nasty noise no matter what. Not even a vet can help you with that one. On a good note though, the ones I have seen went on to live a normal healthy life except for that noise, and did not pass on any sooner than other ratties.

Marianne

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thats great that its not deadly or anything. it just gets so annoying. i have moved them out of my room at night so its not too horrible. i just hate that it happened.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Newborn Pup

I have three rats that like to "talk" where they make the noise with their tounge on the roof of their mouth. Kind of like a tis tis tisk, but they can go on for an hour or more. But mine usually do it when they are trying to talk to me (minic me) since that is one of the noises I make to them. I call it chittering.?.

Tags
aspen shavings, cage bars, carefresh bedding, respiratory infection, wood stove pellets