rat noises - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

rat noises

i had my rats out of their cages, and one was making a high pitched chirping sound. it is very faint, and it is not constant. His nose and eyes are clear and his coat is clean. Is this okay?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

They were exploring my desk, and he was curious... was he maybe trying to communicate with the other rat...?
I know their communication is unheard to the human ear but....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

okay now im getting scared. He wont stop doing it and I think its a resp. infection.... What do i do!!! Help me!! Im scared!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He will be fine until tomorrow morning. Call your vet and make an appointment.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

good luck hun! My rat Pepper makes a small constant chirping noise when he is upset about something- as weird as it sounds- because he hates being taken out of the cage for a minute then put back in, he likes to have a ful ten mins if not a run around so when you get him out again he stops lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
good luck hun! My rat Pepper makes a small constant chirping noise when he is upset about something- as weird as it sounds- because he hates being taken out of the cage for a minute then put back in, he likes to have a ful ten mins if not a run around so when you get him out again he stops lol.
THAT is exactly what dougie does. When hes out of the cage, he chirps kinda soft. and I've been taking him out alot to hear his breathing. that REAAALy annoys him. but when I listen to him thru the cage he doesnt do it... and plus theres no mucus around his nose or eyes... no wheezing.... clean coat... hes drinking and eating and running around and playing... being social... he seems fine, and now that I think about it I had a rat that used to do that and she lived to be about 2 years old...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Will It Ever Change?

he could be bruxing?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

yeah, basically it's his way of trying to talk to you and tell you something- like a cat might hiss at you if you do something it doesn't want, because it cant say 'hey, leave me alone'
so your rat might just be trying to tell you something (but it's not always a bad thing) maybe your rat is a talker, you just didn't realise lol! good luck!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

In general rats do not make noise that we can hear.I mean,they are not a vocal animal like a cat or something.

It could be bruxing or he could just be chirping.
None of my males do it,but I have had females that would sometimes chirp softly.

But I would keep my eye on him and if it continues,sounds worse or he has any other symptoms,take him to the vet.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks !!

Thanks. and you know what else? since im a teenagers i can hear a higher frequency.. so that may also be it.... THANKS FOR TEH HELP, YALLL!!!!