Rat "outie" belly button? Or umbilical hernia? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Rat "outie" belly button? Or umbilical hernia?

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I've currently got a litter of six hairless babies, which are a week old. I know that all rats have belly buttons, but I'm also aware that on most rats, they're pretty much invisible. However, one of the little girls has what looks to me like an "outie".

When they were first born, all the umbilical cord stumps were gone within a day, bar one, which took a couple more days, so could this have been her and left her with a bit extra? I wasn't worried about it at all, as it looks fine to me, but when I googled it earlier I found a forum where someone mentioned umbilical hernias - but I can't find pics of these to compare.

I'm not allowed to post a picture due to having under 20 posts But I do have one if there's any way anyone can look at it (if they know what either an "outie" or a hernia would look like..)

Thanks x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Part of the Pack

you're right googling it shows a lot of puppy info and baby info but it doesn't really show any on rats, do you have a photobucket or something?

also have you taken the baby to the vet yet?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I haven't got a photobucket, I'll upload to deviantart in a minute, but I'm not allowed to post links on here either, would I not be breaking the rules if I linked people to that?

I haven't taken her to the vet as she seems perfectly healthy like the rest of the litter, but the main reason is we have had lots of snow the past few days, and literally no one can drive around (I live on the top of a large hill), so I'd have to walk, and I have no way of ensuring the baby stayed warm enough until I got there :/ Is it worth risking that do you think? Or am I alright to put it on hold unless she shows any negative symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Watch and wait. Umbilical hernias sometimes resolve when the baby gets a bit older. If it doesn't you may be looking at possible surgery later on.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Part of the Pack

yeah, don't risk walking around with her that's not worth it in that kind of weather.

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just an update, a couple of days after this, the "belly button" dropped off. I think it may have been a little bit of left over umbilical cord afterall? There's a very smooth little mark now, similar to the rest of the babies but ever so slightly more prominant.
Very strange.

Tags
baby, belly button, hernia, rat, umbilical