Rat Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Rat Questions

My son has a rex rat named Rex. It took about 2 weeks to socialize rex, but he only wants to play in the morning and at night when its past my sons bedtime. I know that rats are nocturnal but they will play in the day. We let him out of his cage almost all day but he stays in there. He is not scared to come out though because in the morning and at night he is dieing to get out of his cage to play. SHould we just close the cage doors so he can;t go back in there, and put something else out there so he has something to hide in? Any suggestions would help thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

rats adapt to your schedule so lock the cage at night and open the cage when you are around...and feed the rat and try to do activities with the rat during that time....eventually he will figure it out...also perhaps get another rat..they need to have another rat around for mental stimulation and a human just wont do no matter how much you re around the guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 PM

another rat is a must
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah me and my fiance decided to go ahead and get one when we get off of work today. Will rex see this guy and say hey another whiskery friend thats what ive been missing or will they fight? Oh also whats the difference between them playing and fighting?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Another tip- if you are giving him treats while he's out- he will almost always want to take them back into the cage. You might want to save treats for the end at first- though he will learn to come in and out to get them with time.

Depending on where you have the cage- you can always encourage him to venture out more on his own by making a connection. I've used long bird ladder, pieces of 1x4 wood, dryer vent tubes, etc- to connect their cage door to another surface you wouldn't mind them playing- like a dresser or shelf or bed, etc.

Also work on getting him to learn his name- and come when you call him. Rats can also learn to come to a clicker, a squeaker, a rattle, a bell- whatever sounds you choose to associate with them coming out and getting a reward for it.

Though a few rats can be ok on their own with lots and lots of human attention, the fact that your rat prefers to sleep than play does sound like he would do better with some more stimulation in the form of a cagemate. It is better to get him a friend while he is young- especially since you cannot predict your son's future interest or time- even if you feel the Rex gets plenty of attention at the present.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:08 PM

imo
you should get another rat unless Rex has attention every wakeing moment. and even then, humans are not rats....
be sure its another male
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

He needs a cagemate and make sure it is male!You will NEED to quaratine the new rat for a couple of weeks,to make sure he does not have illnesses to pass on to the Rex.When you introduce them,do it on neutral grounds.There may be some fighting to determine dominace and territory.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *