Rat Stroke? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Rat Stroke?

So my oldest rat Gwen is about 21 months. This morning she was paling around with her cage mates Shea and Elphaba. I left for a dinner with a friend and three hours later, when I got back, Gwen was almost lethargic in her movements, listed from side to side, and had trouble eating. Onset was sudden so it seems like it was stroke. She is going to the vet as soon as they open tomorrow to get some prednisone.

My question is if anything I am using could have cause a stroke, or if it's just her age showing. She is still very curious and trys to be active, but just can't seem to move around very well. Now I found out last week that she and her cage-mates had lice, and Gwen reacted badly to the lice (lots of scabs and some loss of weight) so I gave them a vet-recommended dip/bath and I even shaved a bunch of the hair off of Gwen's back to administer a little Neosporin to help heal her scabs that the lice had caused. She seemed to be doing fine until today, her scabs are almost completely gone. The other two rats seem to be fine though they are much younger. However they need another dip tomorrow to get rid of any lice that weren't hatched during the first dip, but I don't want to dip them if it will harm them.

Also is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable tonight? I put her in her own cage so that she can access her bed, food, and water without the other two getting in the way, however the cage is right next to the big cage with my other rats so that they can still sniff and groom through bars if they want. I gave her some dried fruits and yogurt drops too to try to entice her to eat more. (Again, she tries to eat but has a hard time.) I have been hand feeding her anything she'll take from me, but she's so curious that most times she sets the food down to come sniff.

Any help or advice would be welcome. I'm very very attached to my little girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:39 AM

I'm not too sure on anything about strokes or about the lice, but if she is having trouble eating, you could try some baby food. It would be easier for Gwen to eat. When my friend's rat got sick, thats what she fed her. They seem to really like it too.

Tags
head tilt, rat, stroke