Rat things??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Rat things???

I'm going to get a rat cage off my cousin today that she doesn't want anymore and she says its huge so yeah.

I'm planning on getting 2 female rats sometime this week if i can find the perfect 2.

Now I just want some people to list all the different types of stuff that rats need and like having.

First off I would like a list of all the foods you should feed rats then a list of the toys and stuff they like to have to play with and sleep in and stuff.

Thanks to everyone who replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS! Rats make wonderful little companions.

DO NOT use pine or cedar.They are toxic and your babies will most likely develop respitory illnesses.They are very common in rats.

Toys can be anything really.Cardboard boxes,tubes,balls...anything.Just make sure it is safe.I often get my rats bird and cat toys.Hammocks are a good thing as well.Rats LOVE hammocks.I ordered from a few different people now,if your interested in the links...lemme know!

I also give mine fleece.They like to snuggle in it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh and food...do not buy the stuff in pet stores.MOST of it is not suitable for rats.I feed mine a homemade diet,along with lab blocks (Nutriblock).

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Food...
quality lab blocks (Harlan Teklad, Mazuri, Hagen Nutri-blocks,even LM Animal Farms, etc...no Sunseed or Kaytee or Reggie Rat) are the best choice being a complete nutritional diet, then you supplement with veggies, some fruit, some protein.
Forbidden food list (old but it has most things)
Forbidden Foods

If you cannot get your hands on quality lab blocks (Mazuri is sold out of Petsmart) then google "Suebee's Mix" and its a rat mix you can make up yourself. Very important is the dog kibble...has to be low fat, low protein, there are suggested varieties there.

Fresh water is a must, and I change my rats water everyday and scrub out the water bottle often.

Bedding - as was mentioned previously, NO pine or cedar, aspen shavings are fine but make sure they are a quality brand, as some of the cheaper ones are dusty. You might also want to freeze your bedding for 48 hours before using it to kill any parasites (lice/mites) that might be hitching a ride. Other people use Yesterday's News Litter (I use it in my litter pans), Carefresh, Cell-Sorb, fabric like fleece (fleece is good because there are no strings for a rat to get caught up in and injured), etc.

Your rats will need a hidey house (a small box is fine, and there's plastic igloos, snap together houses (snap-inn's in Canada/UK, and waffle houses in US), etc, and a hammock (you can buy them from ppl who make them online, pick up ones for ferrets at petstores or even make your own cheaply and easily.
Wooden bird chew toys are great for rats. I use wooden ladders to enable them to get to a corner shelf I put in their cages, cat jingle balls, etc.
If your rats are babies its advisable to get a wheel for them (either a solid one or the Super Pet 11" mesh wheels are great. A lot of rats as babies will figure out and run in a wheel, which is very healthy for them and usually makes them happy.

Where are you looking for your rats? Its not advisable to get them from Petsmart or Petco or Petland. I hear way too many horror stories on ALL the rat forums about pregnancies, ill and dying rats, etc.
There are usually a lot of rehomes and oops litters needing homes in most areas.

Lastly, start saving for a vet fund. Rats may seem inexpensive but once they get sick they could cost you $50-150 at the vet easily per visit. I hope not to see you posting that your rat is sick, can't go to the vet, and how can you make them better at home.

Good luck!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies i'll have a look for the lab blocks tomorrow when I go to have a look at some rats.

I have to buy the rats from a pet shop because there are no breeders that i can find in my area, but none of the ones you mentioned because we don't have them where I am.

I'll get a hammock while i'm out as well ive got a little hidey house already in the cage.

Got another question though the cage I have is just a large bird cage and I was wondering if anyone knew how to put some shelves in for them to climb up onto and what can I use for ramps to get upto the shelves?

Thanks.

Tags
aspen shavings, bird cage, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, chew toys, female rat, female rats, lab block, lab blocks, litter pan, male rat, male rats, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, rat cage