Rat Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Rat Update

Seeing as I rarely use the forum anymore...I just wanted to update everyone.I currently have 19 rats in my care...14 are mine and 5 are fosters.

The 5 fosters are Steven and Vladimir who I am fostering for the small animal rescue.Vlad has several behavioral and aggression problems and needs vet care for the rest of his life.He is currently unadoptable and I will continue working with him.Then there are Thor,Odin and Freya...Freya may be pregnant,as she was housed with Thor and Odin because they were supposed to be snake food and the person who had them didn't think of separating them as they were just food anyway.

There is someone interested in Odin.But if Freya is pregnant,I cannot keep any of the babies.I am all out of cages.I also may be keeping Vladimir...actually most likely,since it will be hard to rehome him.He bites and is older.

Anyway my hands are currently full.But I wouldn't have it any other way.All my babies are good and healthy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

sounds like you've got your hands full! But then hand's full of ratties can be a fun situation to be in!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Good for you VanillaRat, working with the rats that society often gives up on ((hugs))

Do you need help with Vlad?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yup,my hands are full now,but I wouldn't have it any other way.Keeps me busy and believe it or not,keeps me sane.The rats are sort of like therapy to me.Not that I need therapy,but I mean the rats keep me happy and busy and always have me laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Good for you VanillaRat, working with the rats that society often gives up on ((hugs))

Do you need help with Vlad?
Yup,well the rescue was going to have Vlad put to sleep because he was so aggressive and older and also needs vet care and the reality is people don't want a rat like that.But I told the rescue I would continue working with him and wanted to give him a chance.He is an old boy and don't have much longer to live,so I wanted to at least try and get him to live his last few months happy.They said if I was sure I wanted to do that,then go for it.

The girl who had him admitted to not handling him and told us he was a biter.Him and Steven came together and were in a tiny hamster cage that was separated by pexi glass,since the two never got along...so that made the cage even tinier! They were also only eating cheerios and on clay cat litter......he has a tooth/jaw deformity now and needs frequent vet care and tooth trims.But otherwise he is pretty happy.

And he is quick to bite.He can only be handled for a few minutes with gloves on,as he has no problems with biting.He also gets huffy if I am feeding him,like he does not want me in his cage.But were working on it...he begs for my attention now,when I am in the room and that is a start,since he didn't do that before.Steven hasn't been handled either,but is the complete opposite of Vlad,he is a big sook and cuddly.And he clearly was hungry for affection since he begs more then any of my other rats just to cuddle and have scritches.

And yeah,if you have tips for such an aggressive rat...I would love to hear them.I have dealt with nippers before,but never did I have such an aggressive rat,so this is new to me.

But like I said,he will probably remain with me.

Here are a couple pictures of Vlad when he first came to me in the hamster cage.

And a couple of Steven...who was technically living with Vlad,though they were separated by glass.Steven lived on the bottom as you can see in this picture and Vlad had the top.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Sorry for the novel...it just makes me mad when people think rats are like hamsters and can thrive shoved in a corner somewhere with no or little contact.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

ohhh poor babies!
I'm sure that even if vlad doesn't become a sweetheart, he'll start trusting you a little bit, at least enough to be more relaxed and have a good few months of life!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Vlad looks like my Lola
Good luck with all the little bubbers, how much fun!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They are both adorable, and lucky to have found a good home! Good luck with Vlad.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)