Rats Cat Fight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Rats Cat Fight

Hello, me again! I just have a basic question about my two ratties. They are almost two months old now, and the more dominant one seems to be picking on the other a lot. Hoodie keeps chasing Honey and biting her. When she bites her, she pulls her skin/fur so that I can see it pulling. I dunno, hard to explain. Honey doesn't do much except run away. I figure if she was hurt, she could take care of herself or squeak at least. Honey only squeaks sometimes. Any experience with this, or comments/suggestions? I don't think I should seperate them, but I worry about them when they are alone and I'm not there to make sure Honey is ok.

Hoodie and Honey are Hiding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

the babies will fight, and they will get quite rough biting and tossing eachother on their backs, they will squeak sometimes also. If they ever raise up at eachother or run and do this, then enough is enough, i would seperate them. One is being more domanant tha the other. Females won't hurt eachother in the long run, but trying to establish who's boss right now is all. If you see mounting going on thats another sign also. until they raise at eachother then they shoul;d be fine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

raising at each other... is that like when they stand on their back legs, and paw at one another? i have seen some of that, but not a whole lot. i would really prefer not to separate them. i will continue to watch them closely. thanks for the post!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yep thats what i meant by standing and pawing, that is "ive had enough" if it happens too much, one rat that is the "victim" will be stressed and when you go to handle her, she will be afraid of you cause she is scared at everything all around, are you sure they are females and you might want to seperate them for a bit or take them out together and play with them, if mine do that i pair them with someone else. It only makes for a stressed,freaked out rat in the long run and if not calmed down, will eat their pups. Save this now while you still can, been there done that too often. Also make sure when feeding there is enough for both, feed seperately but in same cage, in otherwords, don't throw a chunk of bread in there and make them chase eachother for it, your causing them to dispute. Let me know how it goes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

My general rule of thumb is "no blood, no foul". They have to establish their pecking order and sometimes it just takes longer than others. As long as there are no injuries and the less dominate rattie is still eating and drinking fine they will most likely work it out in the long run.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks! ummm, I am pretty sure that Honey (the less dominant) is still eating. She is obviously smaller than Hoodie though. I will watch closely.