rats and roach killer - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Exclamation rats and roach killer

we have really bad cock roaches where i live and we need to spray. i got some hot shot roach and ant killer spray. it says to remove pets... does this mean from the house... where you spray, or what. the rats are in my room, which is in the basement. i am scared to use this spray, what do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Try calling the 800 number usually on the bottle. They can usually give you details on how to use it with pets.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Normally they mean just out of the room till the fumes have subsided or its dried but if its in an area where you let your rats out then i'd be very careful as don't know what they could pick up. I'd just remove them into another well ventilated room away from where you are spraying and keep them there till all the fumes have gone but if you are really worried contact the manufacturer to be sure

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

It is important to remove pets from the room to be sprayed. Close all doors and windows os the room to be sprayed and spray everything on it. Get out yourself as insecticide is toxic to humans too. Remember that you are using venom. leave the room completely closed for 10-15 minutes for it to settle. Nothing living (except thecockroaches you want to kill) should be left inside the room. After that, completely open all doors and windows to let out all the smell. After half an hour to one hour it's ok for you to use the room again, but I would keep pets out for a couple of days. Remember that they are smaller than you, so need less of it to harm them. Oh, if you have food or dishes (both pets and yours) or pet toys, whatever you use to eat or your pets come in direct contact with, take it out of the room before spraying, and after spraying, wide the exposed surfaces to clean off the venom. You don't want to come into contact with it either (like through the skin). I know that this sounds like an alarming post, but people don't take pesticides as seriously as they should. 8)

Dimaris

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

it needs to be sprayed in the kitchen that is in an open area so it cannot be closed off. the kitchen is upstairs and i am in the basement but the kitchen is across the basement. i called the number on the can and the man told me it means just dont have the pets in that room. i am still scared to death that it will hurt my ratties. there is no door to the basement so i cannot shut a door. i think i will drape a blanket over the stair opening to help keep fumes out. when after the spray has settled i will open the windows in the kitchen to air it out. then remove the blanket from the stair way. i think the rats will be fine. i am sure i can trust that hotline number... its just what the guy said sorta contradicted what the can said. and i made my question VERY clear with him. thanks for the help

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

oh i just thought of something, there is a room that has a door far away from the kitchen, i could keep them in there for a while... or do you think they will be fine where they are?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd keep them in the room so you can shut the door to make sure no fumes get to them at all just to be on the safe side

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks guys i will do that

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

i'd prefer using a fly trap... ((believe it or not) the sticky paper one) its basically odorless though it cant do that much if the rats are fully grown...

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i feel confadent about moving the rats into the other room with the door while the kitchen is being sprayed. i called the 800 number and i hope i can trust that guy. i called a vet too, but of course... they didnt even know rats were kept as pet (big frowns) so they couldnt tell me ANYTHING