rats and tumors - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

rats and tumors

I was going to get a rat but was told they get tumors very easy. It scared me so I did not buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Any animal is prone to tumours its an unfortunate side effect of inbreeding and rats are more prone to them it seems then many other small creatures but it should never put you off as the possibility of an animal getting ill is part and parcel of pet ownership and any animal can get ill no matter what! Rats make fantastic pets and i've had over 20 and out of them only 2 have developed tumours and one had hers removed and lived another year and the enjoyment you get from owning ratties out weighs any of the bad points such as they might get ill

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Any animal is prone to tumours its an unfortunate side effect of inbreeding and rats are more prone to them it seems then many other small creatures but it should never put you off as the possibility of an animal getting ill is part and parcel of pet ownership and any animal can get ill no matter what! Rats make fantastic pets and i've had over 20 and out of them only 2 have developed tumours and one had hers removed and lived another year and the enjoyment you get from owning ratties out weighs any of the bad points such as they might get ill
Also, you would like to read up a bit on them before making a desition, you shouldn't get one, but two! They are very social animals and need a companion. I like this site a lot: http://www.curiosityrats.com Good Luck!

Dimaris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Naked Dog Mom

One of my rats got a cist (sp?) on his back. I decided to have it removed, just in case it was cancerous (it wasn't), and he healed up quickly and did just fine. He lived for another 6 months after that (died of pnemonia or some type of respiratory infection, totally unrelated to the cist)

On the other side, I had to have a hamster put to sleep (right around his second birthday), because he quickly grew a large tumor on his back that turned him hunchbacked and within a few weeks, he couldn't move at all. I also had a second hamster put to sleep because I had a tumor removed from his salivary gland area, and then he grew another tumor at the top his head less than a month later. The vet didn't think a second surgery was a good idea with the tumor being so close to his brain.

I think just about any small animal can get tumors. It just depends on their breeding.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Newborn Pup

i don't know
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Part of the Pack

yes rats are prone to tumors but any small animal can get them. I have had 5 rats over like 7 or 8 years and only 1 got a tumor. And they can most of the time be removed. Rats are so worth it! GET ONE!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

This thread is from 2005.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
pet owner, respiratory infection, social animals