Ratss - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Ratss

Would it be okay to buy a rat at a pet store? I searched and searched for rat breeders in the area and couldn't find any. I live in maryland, and I searched PA WV and VA.

I'm not sure whether I want boys or girls. Probably girls.

When I was at petsmart they had 3 different kinds of rats, small medium and large. I'm assuming that the larger rats are older. I want one that is fairly big but I don't want one that has been sitting the cage for awhile. This pet store here has just opened so I'm assuming that they've only been in the cages a short time. I do plan on asking questions atleast to see how old the rats are etc.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 PM

i get my rats from the petstore. i haven't ever looked up a breeder, honestly. it just so happens that i go into the petstore near me and often find rats that are all alone in their cages for awhile and no one is buying. so i bring them home. i think pet store rats are more prone to illness though. so if you are looking for really healthy rats i would recommend seeking a breeder somehow.

but i can't say don't get a rat from a pet store cause i did and they are all so wonderful!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Now that I think about it, I had 2 rats from the pet store. The one was sick from the beginning but he was a sweetie. He had some kind of skin infection that I couldn't get to go away. After my boyfriend took him, I looked it up and saw it was probably a vitamin deficiency, I tried everything but couldn't get it to clear up.

I got another rat from petsmart, and he got nasty. I've read about the hormonal thing in male rats, but he was horrible. He would attack your hand and just sink his teeth in. When we cleaned his cage, we had to wear heavy gloves, and he was just gnaw trying to get his teeth in I'm hoping I just had bad luck with the first two, I really want males but I'm afraid of that hormonal thing happening and at the moment I can't afford to neuter. So I might stick to females. I'm still really just thinking about it

Also, at petco they had 3 different kinds. Small medium and large. Do you think that the smaller they are the younger they are? Because it looked like the large rats were full grown.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 02:02 AM

Contact spoiled ratten rattery at spoiledratten.com
I think she's near there and if not she could definately refer you. Do your homework though because she will not refer or sell if she doesn't think you'll treat it correctly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:07 PM

Some people I trust have gotten white rats at reliable pet stores and never had a problem. They have been very happy with those rats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Why not try a rescue?! There are usually loads of rats desperate for new homes.

Yes - smaller rats will be younger. Most pet shops are supplied by rodent farms who care little about breeding for health or temperament, never mind the way that they keep the poor rats who have the babies, which is why so many have issues with pet stores.

In the past, I have had happy rats from pet stores. It is a totally personal decision. Now, I prefer to rescue as there are so many needing homes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I found some rescues in the areas, so I'll definitely try them first. I've had bad luck with rats from pet stores. After I got that one that would literally lunge and bite when you opened the cage, I've been weary ever since. That's why I asked I guess.

*Missy*
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 AM

Yeah - one of my girls from a pet shop was like that, Jemima. She obviously hadn't been handled properly. She was a lovely gentle rat with time and patience, but I did lose blood to her in the meantime.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am not a fan of pet stores, but have gotten several pet store rats.Currently I have 7 rats...2 are from pet stores,2 are rescues and 3 are from a breeder.I prefer breeder rats as they are bred for health.But most of my rats throughout the years were from pet stores and some of them came with several health problems and several vet visits and bills.

All of my current rats are very friendly...they all have different personalities, but none are "mean".I currently have 5 males and they are such sooks! I personally prefer the males to females.I never had a rat that bit tho! I have had nippers...but no aggressive biting or anything.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
male rat, male rats, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet store rats, pet stores, vet visit, vet visits