Ratteries? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:26 PM
LotsToLove

Question Ratteries?

Hi to all you rattie loving folks, I am writing in hopes you will be able to help me out with a search Im doing.

I am looking for a rattery in or around Surrey BC Canada. While Im not opposed to buying through the pet store, I would prefere to know something about the what life has been like so far for our new family member.

Also, I am curious what you as current rat Mom's an Dad's, think is the best type of rat to start with? Or does that even matter? I have heard that Males are more easy going, and that Dumbo's are calm, but I admit to being new owning rats.

Rest assured when we find the right guy or girl to come home with us, he or she will have a nice safe home, and a loving family no matter what.

Thanks again

L.O.L.

:hershey:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:04 AM
Serendipity

I'm not sure about ratteries but as far as breed, I have always had the regular pet store variety. I get them from there to save them from the snake owners. I think all breeds of rats are pretty much the same as far as characteristics go. But I have to tell you I enjoy females much more than males. I find the females to be spunkier, highly intellegent and way cleaner. The males are very musky smelling. Even if the cage is clean, you can still smell a dirty musky smell. Also, when you look for a pet rat, try not to get one that sways back and forth as it stands in one spot. I find that it's a sign of timidness and that doesn't make for a cuddly friend. And try to get them when they are quite young. They will bond with you better. Hope that helps. I like the pet store King Ed Pet Centre on Kingsway by Edmonds in Burnaby. You can climb right in the rat room and pick out your choice. Good luck finding your new pet. Rats are great!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:17 PM
ELH

As a general rule (but there are always exceptions) male rats get larger than females, and are more laid back and willing be to 'lap pets'. Females don't get as big, and are more active, though just as friendly. Dumbos are said to be calmer, but I have had some hyper dumbos, and some calm ones, same with any other kind of rat. So I can't vouch for that, really. My sweetest rat is, though, a female dumbo. So who can tell, right?

Here's a picture of the above mentioned female, named Sweetie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Serendipity

Don't get me wrong. I am fond of all rats.
It's just that the female's more active/spunky personality keeps me very amused and I appreciate their analytical way of thinking.
I find the males to have a more instinctual thinking process which is not necessarily better or worse, it's just different.
I also find the males ferret like musky scent undesirable which creates more cleaning and bathing work to keep under control.
Other than that, they are all very sweet in their own way.

P.S. ELH, I can see where you got the inspiration for naming Sweetie.
She sure is!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:13 PM
luckies4me

Also, when you look for a pet rat, try not to get one that sways back and forth as it stands in one spot. I find that it's a sign of timidness and that doesn't make for a cuddly friend.

Just to clear this up, this is not a sign of timidness in rats. Rats do this because they have poor vision and are tying to focus on something. If youare decideing to get a rat as a pet there are a bunch of things you must consider first. Rats are very social creatures and thrive on human attention. You need to spend a lot of time with your pet to make sure he is happy, although no amount of human attention can replace the attention of another rat. Rats needs to be kept together. It it recommended that they be kept in same sex pairs. They need a big cage. A ten gallon aquarium is just too small. I have my rats in Martins cages. You can do a search for these cages online. Just type in Martins cages. Most breeders use and recommend them. If this will be your first rat you ned to do research first. I would suggest getting your rats from a breeder. THis way you know the background your rat came from. Whether it has ever had a respiratory infection or carries Myco, has family that has had tumors etc. Also rats that come from breeders are well socialized. They pick them up the first day they are born.

Contrary to what petshops say you must not keep you rats on cedar or pine! These are known to cause respiratory infectins, allergies and someimes death! ANother reason you should not buy from the petstore is because most of the rats there are bred in inhumane cnditions for snake food. These animals are not socialized and are usually very malnutritioned and infested with mites, lice and often carry viral illnesses such as SDA and Myco. Most petshop rats die within a few days after going to their new homes. If you do go to the petstore to purchase you rat here ae some things to watch out for. First look for a rat who is interested in you, onw who comes up to the cage to investigate. These are usually social rats. However sometimes you ill get a rat who will act interested but as soon as you open the cage will run away. Try to hold the rat if possible. If it is jumpy and trys to run choose another. If the rat lets you hold him close to your ear ans listen for any clicking or rasping sounds, which is a sign of illness. If you see any red discharge from the eyes or nose this is also a sign of illness. This is also caused by stress but I would not take any chances.

Rats need a balanced diet. Most commercial rat food is just not exceptible. Rats need to be fed either lab blocks or a well balanced dog kibble such as Innova light or Nutros Natural Choice light. Too much protein in the diet can cause scabs on the skin. Pregnant lactating and growin kittens need more protein though. I also feed my rats a grain mix as a supplement to the lab blocks or kibble. It has spiral vegetable past, puffed wheat or Kashi, puffed rice, otameal, split peas, dried fruits such as banana, mango and cranberries. I also add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to the mix. I also give them fresh fruits such as watermelon, pears, grapes and fresh veggies like cucumber, broccli, carrots and squash. If it is hot out I fill a bowl of water with frozen peas and let them play a ratty version of "Bobbing for apples'. I also give the following treats: dog biscutes, chicken bones, porkshop bones, leftover salad fixings, cereal, and other htings. Do not feed sticky things like taffy, peanut butter etc as rats have a porr gag reflex and can easily choke. They also do not vomit. This is why poisons work so well. Well I am going on and on so I will stop now, hope this helps. If you have any more ?s just email me at [email protected] thanks

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:17 PM
luckies4me

Also forgot to mention that I think males are better. A lot of people do not llike them becuase of their testicles but they are a lot more mellow than my females and more apt to suddle with you on the couch. Females are more hyper and like to play more. Although my favorite rat is a female. Ok well I love them all, male of female, hehe. Here is a pic of my favorite rat who is due any day now! Her name is Roxy.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:20 PM
luckies4me

Oh she is an odd eye, two different colored eyes, blue fwn split capped stripe. Here she is again as a baby.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the info! She's very cute!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:38 PM
luckies4me

Thanks!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Serendipity

QUOTE: These animals are not socialized and are usually very malnutritioned and infested with mites, lice and often carry viral illnesses such as SDA and Myco. Most petshop rats die within a few days after going to their new homes.

I have been buying rats from pets stores for over 15 yrs and I've never seen any sick rats like you've described. The pet stores usually get them from pet rat owners that treat them quite well with only a very few exceptions. I'd like to know where you've seen rats in such poor condition because they should be reported!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 03:46 AM
luckies4me

Every petstore that I have been in has rats like these. Ask just about anyone and they will tell you the same thing. But Petco is the worst of all! And they have been reported a gazillion times but still ar able to sell live animals. I live to see the day Petco closes it's doors!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by luckies4me
Every petstore that I have been in has rats like these. Ask just about anyone and they will tell you the same thing. But Petco is the worst of all! And they have been reported a gazillion times but still ar able to sell live animals. I live to see the day Petco closes it's doors!

I totally agree with not allowing petco to sell live animals, the one that is here by me always has sick chinchillas and rats. One time they had 12 ferrets in one cage.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Serendipity

Maybe it's a Canada verses United States thing.
I have nothing against the U.S. at all! Just wanted to clear that up.

Honestly, I have only seen one pet store here in Canada that had conditions like you've described. And it wasn't the space or cleaness of it or lack there of, it was just that one kitten was so sick with the runs. She was covered in it from head to tail. I bought her to try to save her life. She had every parasite you can emagine! Her stool was at least 50 to 60% parasites. She was starving for food so badly that she almost ripped off my hand. Poor little thing! The vet said she probably wouldn't make it. But with lots of care, she pulled through. She's still with me and doing great.

Oh, er, I got side tracked.....
So as I was saying,
that has been my only encounter with animal abuse in pet stores. Maybe we have stricter laws.
We have had problems with puppy and kitten farms.
But that is another discussion.....

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 02:55 PM
luckies4me

Yes I do believe it is the US as I haven't heard too many horror storys where your from. The petstores ehre are pretty bad but like everything there are some exceptions. There is one store who I have purchased a rat from. It was a breeder rat however and had a pedigree. Glad to hear your ratty is doing well now.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Serendipity

Ya mean kitty.

Tags
animal abuse, carefresh bedding, dried fruit, dried fruits, lab block, lab blocks, male rat, male rats, pet store, pet stores, pumpkin seeds, rat food, red eyes, respiratory infection, snake food, sunflower seeds