rattie acting strange - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

rattie acting strange

My rat Princess, is acting very strange. Today I noticed she wasn't coming out for treats as much as usual. Then she stopped hanging around her sisters, trying to isolate herself from them when they go to check up on her. I have to put treats right in front of her to get her to eat them at all now. She usually runs up and down my arms and now she's just laying in my arms limp. Her feet and tail and ears are cold so I am tring to keep her bundled. She's making a crying sound. I do not think it's an ri as they just had two different check ups but I'm not positive. The vet isn't going to be in for at least a few daays he has to call when he gets in same as the other vets around. She's not drinking water. I gave herr echinacea, also the crying sound I was mentioning sounds like the squeak that a sqigy *spelling* makes when you wipe a window. She's breathing kinda hard. If anyone has a few tips for me until I vcan get her to the vet please let me kknow. Ihave never experienced something like this before. Oh yeah she does not have any prophrin at all. I already checked all other animals are ok. She's over a year old. I dunno how much over as I got her from a petstore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

sounds bad...
All I can say is comfort her to try and encouage her to fight what ever is wrong. Try to stay as calm as possible because they sence fear. one question; are her ears back and her head in a little bit of a funny position? she could be gaging or chocking on something? if you realise she is, don't try to help as this could discomfort her further.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

*hugs* i dunno what to say but try to get ahold of that vet!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Something like that happened with my rat Bubbles. He had pneumonia, even though he wasn't sneezing, coughing and had no porphyrin. The mucous was so clogged up in his lungs that he couldn't breathe, and couldn't get it out.

It might not be the case with your rattie... Either way she needs a vet ASAP! Even if it's not your usual vet... anything is better than nothing at this point. I almost lost my Bubbles to that illness, and if it wasn't for my vet and 2 solid weeks of sitting here syringe feeding him he may not have made it. But the fact is he did, so don't lose hope. Never lose hope -- it's the one thing my ratties have taught me.

Do you have an eyedropper or a syringe [no needle]? Try getting her to drink some water, forcing her if you have to. Staying hydrated is a top priority right now. If she seems a little dehydrated try getting some unflavored pedialyte. Keep her warm and on your lap if she'll let you (I'm actually doing that for one of my sick ratties right now as I type this =D). And most of all try to find a vet in your area [phonebook is best] who will take an emergency rat today!

We [myself and all my ratties] are here for you. We'll be praying for Princess... If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I've been syringe feeding herr water and kmr. (kitten milk replacement.) I dunno Shes still acting weird. I tried callinh dr key & atosocita zoo but no one answered

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

She is puffy lookinf and there is some prophrin on her nose now. . I can't get ahold of any exotic vets today. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be open. She is moving around a little bit more, I htink it may be a cold from the harsh weather changes. I just hope she an make it unti lI can get her into a vet. I have never experienced this before I know it's not choking becuaese I have seen what that loooks like before. Thanks for all the kind words you guys. It helps me feel a little better. Well I gotta go feed her right now.

1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

She doesn't want the kmr any more. Which is veru strange she loves kmr. I have forced fed herr through the syringe but I was wondering about how many ccs or syringe fulls should I give her and how often?

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

she is conspitated I dunno if that makes a difference. I'm sorry bout the back to back posting but this just happened. She has poop stuck in and out of her. It's not going anywherre. shoule I go ahead and let herr do herr thing or should I try to pull the rest out with something? It's sticking half way out. I think it could be hurting her but I am not sur.

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I would pull it out... gently!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM

i usually squeeze it out nad it should POP right out :-D
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

oh ok thanks. how mcuh should I force feed herr kmr and how often?

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Please keep princees in your thoughts tonight, I hope the vet is open tomorrow her prophrin is getting bad and another rat is starting to get some on her nose as well. Her eyes are still clear as day though. I am going to give the vet a call as soon as tehy open and if he isn't there hopefully the otherr office I know of has a rat doctor in the house. Hmm. I hope it's not an ri or uri. I dont think it is but I am not positive as I am not the vet. . Is it possible for them to get bad colds? Last week the vets said flower and kisses were ok,I am sorry I m freaking out but I have less experrience with rats than some of you guys. I have her on a heating pad since she was cold and she lays on it when she gets cold and moves away when she gets too warm.

1 Cat- Luna
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Try giving her some vitamin C, I once had a mouse that got all constipated and scrunched up looking, he got much better after I force fed him some. Im not sure if Princess has the same thing, but you could try. I hope she gets better soon!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Princess is having trouble brreathing now. I think may be a possible ri. I put her ini the bathroom and let her breathe in the steam and I was wondering if maybe a vaporizer would hurt or not. Any info on how much fluids I need to feed her. shes not drinking o

1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 AM

I'm sorry to hear Princess isn't doing any better. I'll tell you what - I'll give you my AIM screen name and if you want to talk feel free to message me any time. I'm online almost all day, but if I don't reply right away I apologize.
My AIM name is Zuzuuboo. Feel free to IM me if you need rattie help. I may not be a vet, or may not know the answer right off the top of my head but I will help you find anything you need to know. I love helping people with their pets so you won't be bothering me.

Anyways, if she doesn't want to drink anything she could be having trouble breathing. When my ratties have trouble breathing I gently pet the sides on their chest. It doesn't seem to help break up the mucous but it does seem to relax them. I also give them a small piece of dark chocolate [about 2 or 3 yogies worth] and that seems to help a little too.

Pinch the back of her neck gently like you were about to pick her up by her scruff. If it falls down quickly you don't need to be worried about hydration. However, if it falls down slowly you should try to syringe feed her water [unflavored pedialyte or unflavored gatorade is better]. If she doesn't want it you may have to force some into her. Don't force it too quickly or it might go into her lungs.

Steaming up the bathroom does sometimes seem to help. If anything it keeps her nice and warm. You don't want her getting too cold, cause if she's really very sick she may not be able to regulate her own body temperature very well. The heating pad was a very good idea - just make sure she doesn't get TOO warm. Nobody likes being overheated =).

I forgot it was Sunday... most vets are closed on Sundays. It's a shame; you can't prevent emergencies. Try to get her into a vet ASAP tomorrow morning. If you need anything - anything at all tonight or any night for that matter - shoot me an IM on Aim and I'll be sure to answer. I'm usually up til about 2 or 3 am [it's 11:30pm right now] so chances are I'll be up.

Princess will be in my thoughts all night. I really do hope she gets better. Don't give up hope. As long as she lives she hasn't given up yet.

Tags
exotic vet, heating pad