Rattie dribbles? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rattie dribbles?

Pancake and Mooshoo are now 13 weeks, and they are getting along and seemingly happy. We love them a ton!

They are both very social, and we like to let them "hang out" with us on the couch during the evening while watching TV.

However, they both like to leave presents all over the couch and all over us. They dribble tiny spots of pee all over. Is this normal? And is there anything we can do to stop it?

Please tell me they'll grow out of it!

We've purchased a very large 2-story habitat for them, and we plan to try litter box training once we get it. Will that help at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hello!
I would love to see some photos of Mooshoo and Pancake! Sounds like you have fallen in love with them, which is verrrry easy to do with ratties. They are just so easy to love.

As for the dribbles of pee, that is a standard thing that rats do to mark their territory...in fact when they dribble a bit of pee on you, they are marking you as one of their pack, which is a big compliment.

As ratties get older, the dribbles (and leaving a lot of poos around) tapers off a bit, but they do a lot of that when they are young. The only exception is if they are for some reason nervous or scared, then that can happen from nervousness. Hopefully that is not the case with your ratty kids and they are not stressed out or scared when they are having their outside time with you.

Litter training is great and rats can certainly be litter trained, but it is for the poops only. Rats really cannot be taught to pee in a litter pan. Just the way it is. They will pee basically wherever they want to.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Official Loofah Tester

So very true. I sometimes think that the act of rubbing their bellies on a surface triggers it. Like, oops tickle! (piddle piddle piddle). Which makes sense, whenever someone pokes my belly button I gotta go pee. LOL

What I do is throw washable blankets over my couch and wash them every couple of three weeks, or whenever I notice ode d' rat. I don't rush to do it, because while I don't really smell it thanks to rats having very inoffensive pee smells, they do and recognize it as their safe place. Not to mention that if they already smell that they've marked an area, they won't rush to add more in a piddle frenzy.

I've owned 12 rats and for 11 of them, as they matured, the piddle factories tapered down quite a bit. The one who didn't slow down was an exceptionally people friendly social rat, who just luuuuved loved piddle love piddle loved everybody.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.