Rattie health update! + new rescue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rattie health update! + new rescue

Okay everyone's health is looking better. Izzy's eye is sooo much better. My URI case seems more active with less porphyrin today, and he's not breathing as hard. So maybe we're on the right track.

Also we have a new rescue. One of the locally owned petstores we go to had one brought in and surrendered to them that's clearly already been neglected and starved. He was soo skinny. What's sad about that is he is only about 8 weeks old. He's soo sweet though. He gives ratty kisses and everything! They thought he should probably go to someone with experience, but I can't tell that there's anything wrong with him. He seems to be breathing fine and as soon as we got him home he just ate and ate and ate. He's already put on some weight in one day! He's still quarantined in a separate room in case obviously.

The best part is that as hard as it is to find them around here, he is this precious little Himalayan! I was sooo shocked. I know that himalayans and siamese get darker points as they get older. How old are they usually when their points are as dark as they're likely to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw ya sure you aren't going to keep the little guy?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay ratty rescue! poor thing, im glad you got him! my boy is a siamese, his points really came in after 10-12 weeks i think. glad to hear he's eating well! can't wait for a pic

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM

UHM Eating really well. Really well. My goodness. Good thing though he really is skinny for his apparent age. He is pretty and sweet he crawled all over us and didn't go once. We have some bigger older rats that are more used to us that don't do that. We did check and he does go in his cage so it isn't health related just good rat related. Hard to believe a rat that sweet being that neglected.

I believe this little fellow is or will be a keeper.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
aw ya sure you aren't going to keep the little guy?
Probably will for at least a while. He was very underweight when we got him. Also, I just love siamese. We'll have to see how things go though. Sometimes once our rescues are happy, healthy and well socialized we have to find them other homes. It's sad because we're attached to them by then, but that's the only way we can make room for more rescues if necessary and also make sure that we don't have too many animals in the house to do them all justice.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

My lil siamese boy got his dark markings at about 13-14 weeks. Congrats on the rescue and the other ratties doing well! xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

awww, congrats on the rescue && sounds like everythings running along smoothly!
I wish we had rescues locally around my area, but there are none
Oh well
I really like the siamese and himalayan, I saw one once and REALLY wanted him, but he was actually a she so I couldent.
Bet he is beautiful, I'd love to see piccies please.. if you can!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and then post pics. First of all he's just barely old enough that his points are starting to come in. Second he's awfully scrawny looking at the moment. I may get him up to his full potential and then post pics. He's soo sweet already though. He doesn't make messes outside the cage and he just bruxes and eye pops and licks people when he's out. Just a little angel!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Wow, he's softened up quickly!I'm glad things are going well with him, I don't mind waiting for pics, I'm just a big picture monster LOL heehee!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

He really has warmed up really quickly. He's put on weight really quickly too. He has the occasional sneeze, but doesn't really seem like he's sick or congested at all. I honestly think that as pitiful as he looked than first day, there's really nothing wrong with him that some TLC and decent food wouldn't fix. He's just soo naturally sweet, we're having a blast with him. He really loves Chris! Oh and I forgot to say, his name is Vladamir (Vlad)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Your rats have the greatest names Loveboyrats, they are very creative, how do you come up with them LOL

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad to hear your rats are doing good on the meds.

Also congRATS on the rescue.
I love himi and siamese ratties.Kahlua is a siamese.
All of the himilayan and siamese rats got their points between 12-14weeks.I noticed some tend to develop faster than others.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I'd say he's 7-8 weeks old and he's starting to get light latte colored points on his nose and butt, you can just barely see any on his feet if you're really looking, so I wonder how dark they will be? He is such an angel! We took him to my parents' house last night, and he had such a blast with my 5 year old nephew. He was coming when Max called him and licking him and letting him hold and sorta dangle him and just loving it!

I can't take credit for most of the rat names we have right now. I named Agnes, Agatha, and Rat Fink. The rest were named by my husband Chris. He's pretty good at that!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 AM

A little bit of brain storming and the perfect name usually comes out of it. Oh you also named Cherry and I think Lucy. Fitting names just seem to fall on us. However, we still have one that we can't think of a name yet. Maybe he is too young. The baby we plan to keep so far is called favorite by Kara and Junior by me and neither of those are going to stick. We just haven't settled on one we like yet.

He was named Vladimir after Vladimir Tepes III. Romanian hero and Count Dracula, or Vlad the Impaler to the rest of the world. Funny cause Vlad is so sweet and adorable and the name so fits but the background so doesn't. Or well I guess we will see when he is finally introduced to the other boys he will be staying with. LOL.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I never relly think about names that much.. that must be why mine are so simple LOL
I like the name 'favourite' but just because it's a nice thing I suppose.. if you know what I mean

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties