Rattie Medicine and other Health Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Rattie Medicine and other Health Questions

Ok, so I just got two new ratties and they appear to be sick. They have both been sneezing quite a bit, and also have red rattie snot coming from their noses. Also, one of them has an obviously infected 'finger.' Her finger is about double normal size, and the tip is quite red. First of all, does anyone have any idea what she might have done? It appears that she may have pulled her nail out, but I'm not sure how!

I took my girls to the vet today and he prescribed Clavamox. (Amoxicillin/Clavulanic) After lots of research, it seems as though the dosage is way off. I am in extreme need of some advice!

Has anyone dealt with this drug before? The DR. prescribed .25 mL two times daily for each rattie. My problem is that I think he has overdosed them. Does anyone know if it is harmful for them to have too much antibiotic?

Here's why I think they don't need so much: (Warning, you need to know some basic math, for this is kind of confusing)

The box says: 1 mL (mixed: water + powder drug) contains 62.5 mg actual concentrated drug.

* * It then follows that .1 mL contains 6.25 mg

I have read many places that the general dosage rule is 6.25 mg per pound of the animal's weight.

However, my baby ratties each weigh in at about 1/5 of a pound, suggesting that they would only need 1/5 of the 6.25 mg dosage, right?

So then, they need 1/5 of the .1 mL dosage which = .02 mL

The doctor prescribed .25 mL, nearly 13 times the suggested dosage according to the 6.25 mg per lb.

I have read many places that this drug can cause upset stomache, diarhea, possibly loss of appetite. The last thing I want to do is OVERDO it. Could someone please tell me that I am wrong about the dosage mis-hap?

OR, will this overdose NOT hurt my rattie?

OR, should I go against what the DR. said, and go with what I know?

This is so stressful because I would really like my ratties to get better, not worse! I have been so very worried about them.

If you'd like to email, you can send to [email protected]

Or just reply here! Thanks so much. -Raeanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am not sure his reasons, but have you called to confirm this with him? Is there a second vet you can get an opinion from?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

All is well with the meds! It turns out, he diluted it more so than the bottle says, to fit the ratties' size. If he hadn't done this, it would have been an overdose. I called, and straightened it out with the vet. WHEW!

Hoodie and Honey are Hiding!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

Glad to hear everything worked out!
Hope they have a speedy recovery!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm glad you got the med situation sorted out. As for the swollen toe, a nail was most likely torn or pulled off. It is quite common in rats since they climb *everything* and tend to yank their feet loose when a nail gets caught. You can put a dab of neosporin on it to help it heal, just try not to let her lick it all off.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much for the support! The neosporin suggestion is worth a try. Honey's toe doesn't seem to be making much improvement yet, after two days of anibiotics. Thanks again for the support.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thumbs up

Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know that Honey's toe is doing much better. The scab is completely gone, as is the swelling. It appears as though she is growing a new toenail! I'm so psyched. She was such a little witch with taking her medicine. She had such an attitude. She's such a girl!

Also, they are still on their meds. It has been a week and two days. They aren't sneezing nearly as much, and seem to have high energy. I'm so glad they are getting better! And we even got them a new cage! Woohoo, life is good. So that's your update.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

Great news! A trick I like to use giving my gang meds, mix it in a teaspoon of cool whip. They think it's a treat and they don't even notice the meds mixed in. They especially like to lick it directly off the spoon.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's really interesting! I'm going to keep that in mind about the cool whip- is that regular cool whip or light? LOL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

glad everything worked out
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Lee
That's really interesting! I'm going to keep that in mind about the cool whip- is that regular cool whip or light? LOL
I always use regular -but I suppose you could use lite if you have a fattus rattus.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack