Photos! Ratty playpen! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ratty playpen!

The past couple of weeks since I got my boys I've been having a dilemma with free-range time, because I live in a small apartment with a lot of places that are not exactly rat-friendly. I got this idea from some other rat owners, and yesterday went to the local dollar store to get supplies, and made my boys a playpen! I used 20x30" foam board clipped together with binder clips. It was really cheap to make, and since it's just clipped together, I can assemble and disassemble it very easily, and it fits under the couch when it's not in use! I also cut a hole in one panel to fit their cage door through it, so they have constant access to the cage. Right now I have some blankets in there to cover the carpet, a bowl of water for them to go pea-fishing, a bucket with some ripped up newspaper, an egg tray with a few treats, plus their little "play" cage. I'll probably alternate "toys" every so often.

I thought I'd pass this idea on to everyone here, since my boys absolutely LOVE their new playpen, and it's so cost-effective and easy!! They were out for two hours straight last night romping around and having fun, and I couldn't be happier!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Very creative, and im sure your boys love it!!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

very good idea! i love the dollar store, i swear you could build a house for $50 if you needed to.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks! Yeah, the dollar store is great...and the boys don't know the difference, either!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That looks very funn! I am definitely going to use this idea when I get my rats!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

What a cute idea!
I am always at the dollar store! Might consider doing this once I get rats again.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've actually taken it down and reset it back up several times now. Getting into the routine of setting it up every evening at dinner time then taking it down before bed. It's really fast and easy!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm loving this idea. Very easy and creative, Breyer. I'd use it, except all my animals must stay in my room, so I don't quite have the room yet. The minute I do, though, I'm getting me a Breyer Ratty Playhouse!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodieylia View Post
I'm loving this idea. Very easy and creative, Breyer. I'd use it, except all my animals must stay in my room, so I don't quite have the room yet. The minute I do, though, I'm getting me a Breyer Ratty Playhouse!!
I'm glad you like it! I got this idea originally from a British forum, and had to try it out! So far, so good!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Super Play Area!

Breyer,
WOW, you must be Super Rat Parent of the Week, I am so impressed with your playpen! It looks so fun, I want to play in there too.
That is a great looking play area and I can tell you put thought into it, especially seeing that you even gave the ratties access to go back into their cage if they want while they are playing. Excellent!
By the way, I noticed that you have the same black/blue rattie cage for your ratties that I have. I just love that cage, isn't it sooo roomy? My boys love laying on the solid platforms and I like that the ramps are not wire. Easy to clean, too. Anyway, just wanted to say how much I loved the play area you set up. Your boys are very lucky to have you.
Vlad
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
By the way, I noticed that you have the same black/blue rattie cage for your ratties that I have. I just love that cage, isn't it sooo roomy? My boys love laying on the solid platforms and I like that the ramps are not wire. Easy to clean, too. Anyway, just wanted to say how much I loved the play area you set up. Your boys are very lucky to have you.
Vlad
Everyone must have this cage because I have it too! My girls enjoy all the climbing they can do.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for your comments everyone!
To Vlad and Shelby--the cage is fantastic, isn't it?!! And I really thought it was a good deal for the price. Mine also love climbing all over it, and they've just started to really enjoy using the hammock that came with it!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Breyer,
Yes, it is such a great cage for them, I agree! I called it their "rattie mansion". And the built in hammock is a nice touch of course! They just love it and it is so big. Yay!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. on Super Pet Cage

I forgot about what you said Breyer, about the price...it is a GREAT price for all that you get, I agree! Worth every penny.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM

My youngest one, Velvet, loves climbing all over the walls. I don't think she even uses the ramps!
I got mine on sale! So I was really happy with it. I've had to get rid of the hammock because they chewed on it. D:
Right now it has two litter boxes, two houses, and instead of the hammock I now have a tube-like-hammock. They love it!