Really stressing out here :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Exclamation Really stressing out here :(

Well my rats are about 6months old now and they are still fighting well at the start it was roll and tumble but now its like they are up on their back paws and are face to face with their mouths open i dunno what this is .. they have never made eachother bleed but its as if novo wants to get away from toto i went and opened their cage to tell them to stop it and they dont listen they just stand up and stay like that then BANG novo sprinted out the cage and into my arms and toto started getting hyper and bounced around .. ?

I really do need advice i put them in the kitchen now so i dont hear the squeaks i jump every 2 minutes in bed when i hear them ive been in tears nearly every night but the next morning they are all cuddled up grooming eachother i love them both to bits but wow im so stressed ive actually took a panic attack once and my bf is really scared about me because the way i am acting..
what should i do .. do rats normally do this ? should i leave them to it ? i dunno what to do.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
can't think of one, help

I don't know what to tell you except that they will fight if their cage is too small, I don't know much about them except that. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer. Hang in there
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Well I know that rats can have little "squables". I have seen my rats do just what you said they were doing. If there is no blood being shed than they are probably not actually "fighting". It is probably a dominance issue. I freaked out too when I saw my rats doing that and then I found out its a dominance issue and they settled it later. Now that they are about 1 year old they dont do that anymore. Good luck! And dont sweat it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are they boys? It sounds like their about the age where they are getting hormonal. Don't worry it's just a dominance issue and they're being "teenagers" and fighting over who is alpha. The reason why there is so much squeaking is because they're being big babies (really). As long as there is no blood then there is no problem. Sometimes what I do is if they start doing it when they're outside of the cage is I take the "troublemaker" and hold him on his back. It kind of shows that YOU are the alpha and in charge.
If you are worried about their boxing matches, then you are in for the time of your life because some males will "fight" for alpha constantly.

I also want to say that females sometimes do it also.

*Missy*
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are they boys? It sounds like their about the age where they are getting hormonal. Don't worry it's just a dominance issue and they're being "teenagers" and fighting over who is alpha. The reason why there is so much squeaking is because they're being big babies (really). As long as there is no blood then there is no problem. Sometimes what I do is if they start doing it when they're outside of the cage is I take the "troublemaker" and hold him on his back. It kind of shows that YOU are the alpha and in charge.
If you are worried about their boxing matches, then you are in for the time of your life because some males will "fight" for alpha constantly.

I also want to say that females sometimes do it also.

*Missy*
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah, they're boys. even human boys beat each other up and wrestle. rats are the same. if there's no blood, relax! my timmy is a HUGE cry baby. when I still had petey, they'd always wrestle and like you, every two seconds I was jumping up to see what all the crying was about. it's about NOTHING, you just have a whiner

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys yeah there 2 boys born from the same litter well all last night i slept for about an hr jumping at every little noise im just worried about them they are in a freddy 2 with lots of beds and toys and they always have food so i think they are just trying to dominate one another its just the way novo runs to me if toto is starting it.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Keep in mind that when rats fight for real, they attack each others' rumps. As long as they stay head-to-head, they are not actually fighting. They are just at that age when boys need to act macho.

In a real fight, you would probably hear a horrible shrieking noise, kind of like a pig squealing. If they are squeaking you can be sure they are just talking to each other.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Yeah is the squeals like loud squeaking because sometimes when they are face to face one will freak out and squeak and fall outta the basket or off the ledge and the other ones runs down to do it again .. its really weird i dunno what to make of it maybe i will try and video it next time .. ?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I think my boyfriend is going to end up spliting up with me over this i'm just back from his house now seeing the rats and i couldnt sit in the same room as the rats if i hear them jumping i run out to the hall he says im scaring him i dunno what to do.
I sit and wait for something to happen thats why i came back home just now i cant sit over there listening to them because i panic GAAAAAAA

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Look hun, you really need to relax. Be confident that you're retaining what we're teaching you, and that you can use that knowledge to make judgment calls. Let me try and relate this to something you're all ready familiar with. You know how teen guys joke around and push each other and laugh, punch in the arm, laugh, arm wrestle, plain wrestle, chase each other, throw things....etc. Only rarely does it happen when one person has had enough and stops the playful banter. This is the same thing. So again I say, seriously, relax. I don't want this negatively affecting your relationships. Please see this as cause for concern for your well being! xoxo

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sweetie...please,do not worry!
This is NORMAL rat behaviour.Trust me and the others here who gave you some good advice.They are young too,so this is just playing and establishing dominance.And as mentioned,some rats have little squabbles throughout their whole lives.

As long as there is NO blood...they are fine.

Maybe show your boyfriend this thread and tell him it is normal ratty behaviour will smooth things out.But seriously,you have to STOP panicking about this.

*hugs*

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If you are worried about them falling off of ledges then hang tons of hammocks around the cage so they have something to fall into.

Sometimes if my boys do it I'll take one of them out for a few minutes so they can calm down a bit. If my boyfriend sees who starts it he'll just hold him down for a second.

It's probably hard for you because you have 2 rats that are the same age. When I got my rats they were pretty much all ages and I introduced 2 babies to an adult. Well the adult was always alpha, so I dealt with squeaking for a few days then it was over. You're going through a bit more because they're both trying to be alpha and if one claims it the other is going to want it back. Just hang in there and if you hear them squeaking try giving them some treats, or eep at them yourself. It will probably help for a little while, but like I said in an earlier post, you have boys, they will do it their whole lives.

*Missy*
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
I really do worry about them there my little boys and because i have never had rats before its all new to me.
Everyones advice has calmed me down so thanks.
Im just really stressed out at the mo and the rats are making me more jumpy.
My bf says im overreacting because they wont hurt eachother but i cant help but worry about them.
They have never been this bad before so i think thats why im worrying but last night me and my bf put them in the living room with us turned off the lights and watched them doing it and yes guys you are right because they do not hurt eachother its just the pinning and the spikey fur.
So i had a good chance to watch what way they got on and that gave me a little confidence back because now i know they arent hurting eachtother thanks guys xxxxxxxxxx

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think many of us have things that stress us out more than they should.

I'm really paranoid about my rats choking. Like, REALLY paranoid. My old boy Hercules was so bad about it, he would get stuff caught in his throat constantly and it just killed me to see it. So now, even though my other rats don't choke on stuff ever, I keep an eagle eye anytime they eat treats. I don't give them too many at a time, and I offer them water periodically to make sure they are washing it down.

I know it's ridiculous, but I can't help it. I just have to tell myself that they are ok. I'm getting much better about it since there have been no choking instances since Hercules died. (RIP little buddy)

Maureen

Six new rats