Really worried now - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Really worried now

Heya everyone

Im really worried, as you saw in an earlier post one of my mice has developed a tumor, and the vet says he cant operate as it would cause too much distress for the mouse.

I have just noticed that another of my mice have developed a lump to, under its right back leg. Im really concerned that im doing something wrong as now two of them have tumors? I clean their cage every 3 days, and give them plenty of excersise, I also feed them a standard mouse food with extra vegetables as treats. Could they be allergic to something? Im just really worried im doing something wrong as im a first time mouse owner! they both seem fine in themselves! if anyone can offer me any advise please do so!

Many thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Cathy and Holly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello Earthling

If you got them from the pet shop is it most likely inbreeding that is causing the health problems. Since most mice you get at the pet store are meant for snake food, not pets.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I got them from the pet store, but they were advertised as fancy mice for pet keeping, but they are all from the same litter so that could suggest that its inbreeding ive only had them since may this year!

Love Cathy and Holly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Hello Earthling

Yeah I think that they are probably inbreed. To my knowledge fancy mice are pretty much just the nice looking mice from the feeder pile.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I know I've read female mice are prone to breast cancer, :/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thats aweful! they shouldnt sell them to people who want them as pets! ive grown really attached to them already it upsets me to think that they might be in pain and im probably going to loose them soon

Love Cathy and Holly

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Hello Earthling

That is why if you want good quality PET mice you should get them from a breeder.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea I think I will, at least ive given them a good life so far instead of them being snake food but its still really sad to see them with huge lumps on them. Im really worried im doing something wrong with them.

Love Cathy and Holly

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

how old are your meece girls?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Im not sure how old they were when I got them but ive had them since March so at least 9 months I would imagine! not very old at all for mices. They both seem fine still but its heartbreaking to know I might loose them soon and theres nothing I can do about it

Love Cathy and Holly

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 AM

Probably inbred a bit too much.

Tags
illness, mice, tumors