Recommend me a wheel, or help me make this one work (mouse) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Recommend me a wheel, or help me make this one work (mouse)

I have a Silent Spinner but it just won't turn anymore. It's gotten really stiff for some reason, and from Googling it seems to be a common problem with them, so I guess I'm not going to buy another.

I went to Petco today to get a mesh wheel. They also had those saucer ones which are neat but my cage just doesn't have enough spare floor space for it; they're really quite big.

So I bought the mesh wheel but it seemed pretty stiff too. I took it home and put it in the cage and what do you know, my mouse can't turn it (but thinks it's an awesome chew toy).

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for wheels that are easy to turn that aren't Silent Spinners? I have my old fashioned bar wheel, I know it's not totally safe, but it's the only thing that she can use for exercise it seems so I have it in there for now.

Alternately, is there a way to make the mesh wheel easier to turn? Or should I just go return it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Part of the Pack

i think olive oil or other edible oils are ok for lubricating the wheel if you want to try that.

on the wheel front though i think there's one called the wondent wheel which is supposed to be one of the safest wheels around. they look really neat too. someone on this forum probably has one or has had one in the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Playful Pup

I agree with rodentopia.
The Wodent Wheel is supposed to be one of the best.
I'm pretty sure that you can buy it at petsmart.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Part of the Pack

i think they have their own website which is probably wodentwheel.com. i think it's relatively expensive, but people say it will outlive your pet, and they make them for hedgehogs and degus as well.

its a well though out product, especially for people who plan on keeping generations of small pets

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Part of the Pack

I would just find a way to lube up the old one, honestly. Petroleum Jelly, WD-40 etc. I've used both around them before and wiped off the excess - does fine.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
mouse wheel