red stuff - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

red stuff

my rat, Pandora, has some red stuff around her nose. I don't think its blood, it looks like that stuff that is like blood that they get from over stimulatioon. I can't remember what its called. should I be worried? She's not sneezing, and she's not lethargic. She just started sneezing and rubbing her nose, like cleaning. there isn't any red stuff there at the moment cause she just wiped it off

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)

Last edited by PitaPandora; 11-23-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: change of info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I put her back in her cage and she stopped sneezing and has now settled down to finish the sleep I disturbed by getting her out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I am allergic to maths

Sounds like a rat nose bleed. She probably banged her nose then the trickling blood caused her to sneeze it out. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That makes sense. Thanks. I didn't know they could get nose bleeds.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:53 AM
I am allergic to maths

Any animal can have nose bleeds since we have capilaries every. Unless, of course, you dont have an nose
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

It's most likely porphyrin, which is not blood (not a nose bleed, either)--it's natural discharge from the nose and eyes. If it is just a little bit, it should not be a problem. Sometimes after waking up they might have a bit around their nose and eyes. If they start getting more than usual, if it stays on their face after they've washed themselves, and if accompanied by other symptoms (like breathing sounds, lots of sneezing, lethargy, not eating or drinking as normal) then you should make a trip to the vet, because it could be a sign of illness.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I am allergic to maths

Thanks. I knew hamsters get that but I wasnt sure rats did. Thats why I put the ???
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Now that you mention it, Breyer, Pita had some in the corners of her eyes. Just little tiny bits. Hmm. I think this is only the second time I've seen it on them, though

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 AM

Dont freak! Its porphyrin.

Tags
nose