Rehoming Deaglan - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Rehoming Deaglan

So I am probably going to rehome Deaglan...only if I can find the "perfect" home.

I love the little guy,but I cannot handle his stink.He already stinks my whole house out.I have his cage in the living room,because that is the best place for it.Well last night I went out and when I returned and opened the door all I could smell was mouse stink.

I noticed a few days ago there was a little bit of male mouse stink,but it was not bad and I burned incense to mask it.But last night the whole house reeked of mouse,it seemed like I had about 10 male mice (but I only have the one).Then tonight I was out and just returned home to mouse stink.

Deaglan's cage is clean.I cannot excessively clean his cage,as the more you clean the cage,the more they scent mark and stink it up again.But it is clean enough.

I really cannot handle it.I have not had male mice in yrs and the last time I did,I had a room especially for them.Now I do not.And I cannot have my friends visit with the house stinking like this,especially since I cannot even handle it.I have some friends who don't own pets so it would be 1000 times worse for them.I simply forgot how bad male mouse stink is and sadly Deaglan as cute as he is,reminded me.I was not going to keep any of the males from that litter,but he was too cute and I kept him and well now I regret it.I hate to say that,but I cannot have male mice.My females are nowhere near as bad and they all live together! It is crazy how ONE male mouse can clear a room...

So I decided tonight I will start looking for a home for him.I was hoping that one of my friend's who took my other male babies would take him,but they are not interested.Too bad.It will be hard to find a good home with someone I do not know,but nobody else I know is interested in mice...especially a male.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
the rodent lover<3

I wish you weren't so far, I would've taken him My boy's stink, but I don't really mind it.. lol

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Awww and I know a few members here would be great homes for him.But I am far away.

Males do stink.It used to not bother me when I had a spare room especially for them.I even kept more then one male at a time.That was at my old apartment and I had a room especially for the rodents.It was contained in the room,so it was managable.

Unfortunatly I do not have a room to put just him in.I cannot put him in my bedroom because I cannot handle the smell or in my daughter's room and the one spare room is where the cats hang out alot (their litter box and such is in there).So he is in the living room.The female mice are also in the living room,but they do not smell so bad.

EDIT: I guess I have grown a little more senstive to the smell then I used to be,since I have not had males in so long.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I hope you can find him the perfect home, he's such a cutie
Sorry that you have to give him up.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I am only giving him up if I find a good home.He is a cute and sweet little mouse and I don't really want to give him up.

If not (finding a good home),then I dunno what I am gonna do...have to find somewhere for him to go.He cannot stay in my living room anymore though...not for much longer either.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello Earthling

It if unfortunate that you have to give him up, but I couldn't live with a smell that I am imagining a mouse gives off from your description.

I am sure you'll fine him a good home.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah male mouse stink is not pleasant.
If I could have him in a contained room,like I used to do with my male mice it would be fine,but I have absolutely NO spare rooms to put his cage in...

* Lisa *

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 AM
I am allergic to maths

When I was little my neighbours had a male mouse that stank. They kept him in the bathroom. Eventually they cleared out a cupboard, removed the door, put in shelves, and kept their mice in there. They had a tank of 3 females and had a 10gal with 1 male
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to hear about this Lisa I know how keen you were on the little guy. Winston doesn't seem to smell that much as long as I clean him regularly enough. The smell coming out of his cage is a little like nuts and straw combined which I can live with. The hay I use for him is amazing though, it stops it from being too stinky!

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I still have him and have not really been looking.I did just find a mouse breeder and was going to ask if we could do a trade.If she would take Deaglan for one of her females...she has a beautiful litter right now.I have not asked her yet,but was talking with her about mice.

Deaglan has a stinky rotten corn odor...I cannot really explain it,except it stinks.I was playing with him last night and he is a sweet little guy,so I only want the best for him.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

If I cannot find a good home soon,I will see if the rescue will help me rehome him.They did say they would help me rehome any males I could not rehome from Siobhan's litter.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Have you tryed puting vanilla extraxs in his water a drop or 2 I do it with my mice and rats both and the males both rats and mice dont seem to stink it up as bad. the real vinilla not the inmataion stuff is what I find works the best and I found it out by sertching sites to help with males strong smells. It works on my ferrets to they seem less stinky them the mice though. I got the info from a couple diffrnet mouse groups that have rats as well that use it for them to keep the smell down. One of them is valeries mouse paridice. I havent been on to a lot of them becuase theres nothing new on the sites and havent been for a while. Except new front page photos.
but of course they are the ones that told me rum is good for rats and mice. But I have seen it on other sites and pet things were they sujest the same thing when I ask and they say its what there vets sujested for them to use.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

have u tried maybe putting the cat littre box in the bathroom and the cat hang out into the living room instead of in the spare room ? or vanilla extrax like diamond suggested ?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The cats do have the run of the house,UNLESS I have to go out.The reason is,they chew wires and stuff and if I cannot watch them I rather not come home to a dead,eletrocuted cat.Besides that is where their litter,food and beds are (otherwise the dog gets at their food).Yes,I could certainly put the litter boxes in the bathroom when I am here,but I cannot trust my cats while I am out,as they are still kittens and get into everything.It is done as a safety measure.Besides they love the room.

They do not bother the mice too much out in the living room,but Deaglan's cage is easy to knock off tables and if I put his cage in the spare room it would have to be put on the floor,otherwise they would knock it off the tables...it is on a huge table in the living room right now and not easily knocked off of that as it is pushed in.And there are problems with leaving the cage on the floor too,the cats go nuts with "zoomies" and tend to make a huge mess as they run around crazy and I cannot risk them dragging the cage around (BTW it is one of those Crittertrail ones...Crittertrail Ovo...so it is not a heavy cage).

The only solution is to keep his cage in the pantry like cupboard that has shelves...but I don't want to do that,as it is dark in there.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM

sounds crazy, but if you ship him to me I will take him.
I have heard of many places shipping mice with no problem.

I am in the us, but still.... it should really be too big of a deal.