Remember Winston Shiny-Sides' Eye Problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Remember Winston Shiny-Sides' Eye Problem?

Hey guys, you may or may not remember I posted a while back about my mouse Winston Shiny-Sides having a ruptured eye. I took him to the vets who gave me antibiotic gel drops. I used them for a few weeks but it didn't really improve, still he looked and seemed really healthy so I left him be.

Then a few weeks later his other eye was all red and scratched and looked like it was also ruptured so I took him to another vet who gave me some antibiotic drops again but said he looked very well. Two days later he had stopped eating completely and could barely walk. He was dragging himself around and it was breaking my heart to watch. I took him back to the vets and they said he was really thin and weak and had no quality of life (2 days after they had said he was great!). I had the vet put him to sleep because I couldn't bear to see him suffering like that. He was really brave right til the end and even tried to run in his wheel despite barely being able to stand.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with a mouse? The vet said it could be an inner ear infection as he was flopped over on one side but since both his eyes had ruptured I wondered if he may have had a brain tumour or something. Especially since he deteriorated so fast.

I miss my little man so much. I know it doesn't really help to dissect his illness but was curious to know if it was anything I had done wrong as a guardian?
I buried him in the garden last week in his sleeping bag pouch his grave is marked with a painted rock and a candle. He had a great sendoff. Even the vets sent a sympathy card, he was adored by everyone who met him!- RIP Winston love you mouse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no, I JUST now saw this post of yours Mossa! I am SO sorry! I thought Winston had passed away awhile ago, but you just posted this! Forgive me, I had no idea until I saw your post just now.

I looked at his pictures and he was just so beautiful...what a precious little guy! His pictures show what a comfy and fun home he had with you...I just love his furry little sleeping bag..makes me wish I could shrink down to his size and climb in with him.

I am SO sorry about Winston. I have never heard of ruptured eyes preceding a death, but as painful as it was for you, you did the right thing by letting him go so he would not suffer. Now he is happy and at peace. I am looking forward to seeing your painted rock and candle photos of his memorial. My heart goes out to you and I know that Winston is looking down and saying, "What a great mom I had!" while he plays with his new mouse friends at the Bridge.
Take care and I will send my love up to Winston too.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Winston you sweet little shiny boy. Your name alone had character beyond your tiny size. I'm sorry your little boy is gone Mossa. I always loved your little man too. He was a gorgeous little manmouse.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm so sorry to hear about Winston. What a great little guy with a perfect name. Rest in peace, Winston Shiny-Sides.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys your condolences mean a lot. Most people don't understand how much a tiny animal like a mouse can enhance your life but I miss him terribly.

I am looking at adopting some girls in need of a good home, but a big chunk of my heart will always belong to Winston Shiny-Sides.

Not sure I'll ever manage to think up another name as cool as that one!

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well people who don't understand just don't have a heart. The size of a breathing, living animal has no bearing on how much we love them. A few years ago, when we still had our two gerbil boys, one of them developed a tumor and when my vet told me he was not going to live much longer, and I was crying my eyes out, she told me that she just had a couple in her clinic the previous day, a banker executive hotshot and his wife and they both bawled and cried so hard when they found out their little mouse had a fatal condition. So there you go. We all understand.

I think it is great that you want to adopt some mice that need good homes. Super idea. I was thinking that same thing about when we finally get ready to adopt new rats, that I may want to adopt a pair from a shelter that need a good home. It would make me feel so good to rescue a pair and give them a terrific, loving home with us. Keep us posted, and remember that Winston is having a wonderful time with all of his new buddies right now, my two boys included. Keep your chin up! We all love Winston.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
eye, mouse, rupture, tumour