renaming animals? ok or not ok? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

renaming animals? ok or not ok?

when i adopted flora and fern they had different names than they have now. in there past living conditions they were hardly ever played with so i doubt they even knew what there names were. i havnt had rats in awhile, the rats i used to own did recognise there names. both rats are now beginning to recognise that the names they were given from me means pettings. when i have them free roaming and dont have treats out they will come by there individual names now. if they smell treats both come and fight over them. so any way i was just wondering, does renaming rats effect them negativly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Depending on the situation I almost always rename rats... "A new name for a whole new and better life"

BUT if they are older rats that know their name, you really cannot change it on them, its just not fair.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 PM

It's fairly common to rename young pets and even some older ones if they were neglected and didn't really know what their names were to begin with.

We choose not to rename Nelix (our Lab) because he knew his name really well and we adopted him from family, who still see him. But we've renamed other pets without a second thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I think that it is alright to rename them, because it shows that you care about them and that they are your pet, not someone elses. It doesn't really give them trauma or anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm very particular about my pets' names and I always take time to try to name them something fitting and cool. Two of my rescue rats came to me with the names Steve and Paul... No way I was leaving them with those names!!

I think if an animal knows its name you might want to think about keeping it, but if not go ahead and change it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Hello Earthling

Changing a name is perfectly fine... maybe they hated the name they had before and you just gave them a much better name

If they already knew their name they just might be a bit confused for a few days but I am sure that they would soon realize that they had a new name and a new lease on life.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM

I have never changed a pet's name, but to be honest, I do not see any harm in it, a pet that already knows their name may be a little confused at first, but will adjust before too long anyway...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

yeah i really hated there names before i got them, indiana and sherlok, uggg. and i am nearly possative they didnt recognise them as there names. they are girl rats and they should have girl names!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM

As long as they dont know thier name or the person/rescue doesn't mind, go ahead!

Im adopting to baby rats soon (5-6 weeks) and im definitely going to change thier names. Thier young and havent learned any names so it will be ok.
I wouldn't dream of changing Bishops name though. Hes my 7 week old ratty boy. Hes very smart and learned his name the first few times i called it.