Photos! Rescued baby field mouse! Update!! :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Rescued baby field mouse! Update!! :)

Hey everyone!

I posted a request for advice on a baby field mouse (white-footed deer mouse, I found out) that my husband and I found in our yard. You were all really helpful so I thought I'd let you know what has transpired since then!

We named him "Banana" because it has so many cute words that can be added on (Banana Nut/Pepper/Chip/Etc...) and it fits him.
After the first 3-4 days of nursing him, we felt he would make it so we got him a plastic bottom/wire cage and some toys (see pics). We thought he might be too small for it at first so we placed him inside and watched him climb all over it and try to escape for 2-3 hours. Once confident of his confinement, we went to sleep....Well, I woke up to Banana curled up against me in bed later that night (thank goodness I'm a light sleeper!). I have no idea how he made it onto the bed or why he chose to get into bed with me instead of try to escape but at that moment I knew he was a part of the family.

Although we did keep him back in the aquarium until he was too big to fit b/t the wires!

We've had him a little over 3 weeks now and he is a spoiled little bugger! It's so fun playing with him and finding him new toys to play with. I love "redecorating" his house everytime I clean it. I made some "tightropes" with string and some ladders with chopsticks. Everytime I put him back in his clean cage, it is so fun to watch him discover all the new nooks and crannies!!

It is funny because my husband didn't think I would let him even bring a mouse in the front door (and I probably wouldn't have 3-4 years ago) but I am so glad that we found Banana!! I'm in love...

Sorry for the gushing...most of my friends don't understand "mouse-love" hehe.

The pictures (in order from L to R) are:
1. Banana on 5/6 with a nickel for comparison (he looks so sick )
2. 5/10/09- starting to look better!
3. 5/11/09- munching on some oats in the "condo" aquarium (he weaned himself after about 2 1/2 weeks of formula with dry food always available)
4. 5/28/09- It was so hard to get him to sit still to take this pic! Nickel for size comparison...So grown up now!!
5. 5/28/09- Banana in his new house with a old tea box posing as a "treasure chest" (he used almost everything in there for a nest under the "stairs"- took him all night too)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banana5-6-09_3.jpg (42.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg banana5-10-09_4.jpg (42.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg banana5-11-09_1.jpg (21.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg banana5-28-09_10-touchup.jpg (42.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg banana5-28-09_7-small.jpg (48.1 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

P.S. Sorry for the blurry photos...I know mice don't like bright lights so I nixed the flash.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Oh my gosh he is so cute. I'm glad he's a healthy little guy now it's always stressful to have a sick pet.

Keep taking pictures. I only got two of my AggieBug before she passed away and I regret not taking more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hey! Aww I am so glad that he is better! He's adorable! I think that is so sweet that he slept with you, I guess he doesn't miss the outdoors any! With my mice I like to rearrange it everytime too, haha. Cute name too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

You are so great taking him in! without you's guys he most certainly wouldnt of made it! Hes so gorgeous! Hes a very lucky boy! Please keep me updated with pic's and how he is doing because he really amazes me lol!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Part of the Pack

that is possibly the cutest mouse i've ever seen, well maybe except for that angry looking naked mouse lol.

yeah keep us updated on him please! plenty of pictures etc

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm so happy that you rescued him! Glad he's doing well, he is super cute!!

Maureen

Six new rats

Tags
baby, mouse, orphan, wild mice