I posted a request for advice on a baby field mouse (white-footed deer mouse, I found out) that my husband and I found in our yard. You were all really helpful so I thought I'd let you know what has transpired since then!
We named him "Banana" because it has so many cute words that can be added on (Banana Nut/Pepper/Chip/Etc...) and it fits him.
After the first 3-4 days of nursing him, we felt he would make it so we got him a plastic bottom/wire cage and some toys (see pics). We thought he might be too small for it at first so we placed him inside and watched him climb all over it and try to escape for 2-3 hours. Once confident of his confinement, we went to sleep....Well, I woke up to Banana curled up against me in bed later that night (thank goodness I'm a light sleeper!). I have no idea how he made it onto the bed or why he chose to get into bed with me instead of try to escape but at that moment I knew he was a part of the family.
Although we did keep him back in the aquarium until he was too big to fit b/t the wires!
We've had him a little over 3 weeks now and he is a spoiled little bugger! It's so fun playing with him and finding him new toys to play with. I love "redecorating" his house everytime I clean it. I made some "tightropes" with string and some ladders with chopsticks. Everytime I put him back in his clean cage, it is so fun to watch him discover all the new nooks and crannies!!
It is funny because my husband didn't think I would let him even bring a mouse in the front door (and I probably wouldn't have 3-4 years ago) but I am so glad that we found Banana!! I'm in love...
Sorry for the gushing...most of my friends don't understand "mouse-love" hehe.
The pictures (in order from L to R) are:
1. Banana on 5/6 with a nickel for comparison (he looks so sick
2. 5/10/09- starting to look better!
3. 5/11/09- munching on some oats in the "condo" aquarium (he weaned himself after about 2 1/2 weeks of formula with dry food always available)
4. 5/28/09- It was so hard to get him to sit still to take this pic! Nickel for size comparison...So grown up now!!
5. 5/28/09- Banana in his new house with a old tea box posing as a "treasure chest" (he used almost everything in there for a nest under the "stairs"- took him all night too)