Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Resp. Infection VS "normal sneezing"?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
Can someone explain to me what a respitory infection is?
These are my first two rats & I notice they sometimes sneeze.It's not an everyday /every moment type of thing,but they were like that since I first got them :confused: BUT I don't think it's "normal" nonetheless.

Let me add,they were never housed on pine or cedar when they started living with me,but before I had them they did.So if it was pine& cedar that made them sneeze (not good for rats @ all!!) then when they moved with me& had good bedding,shouldn't that have went as well?? They still sneeze. & Now they rarely have "bedding". They are littertrained [yesterday's news for litter,in a litterbox,it's cleaned quite frequently,I have OCD,can't have dirt anywhere,so my cages are spotless :lol: ] They have fleece blankets mainly. So whats up?
T'is making me QUiTE paranoid.If someone can give me a list / explanation what a respitory infection is like,I'm going to call a vet near the city to make an appointment.Before people start assuming that I let it go for too long,it's an "off & on" thing. & Just lately it been more "on" then "off". Thanks!

#2 ·
Rats do sneeze on occasion. Anything like candles or perfume can make them sneeze.

If they have a resp infection, they'll have a runny nose and watery eyes. Also they can get polyphorin (sp?) which looks like blood but it really isn't. A little bit is okay and nothing to freak over but if it's excessive then you should worry. If they sneeze once in awhile, you shouldn't worry too much. If it gets worse then definitely take them to a vet.

Being that they were housed on cedar or pine before you got them, you might think about just taking them for a check up. Check ups are good anyway so you know how much they weigh etc.

#3 ·
I noticed my rat sneezed a lot when I first got her, she might of had something since I got her from a pet store and she was with a lot of other rats. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless they have the runny nose and stuff like pinkie mentioned.

#4 ·
THANK GOODNESS!! :D
They don't have a runny nose,or watery eyes or anything besides occasional sneezing.I was scared they were ill. I intend on getting more rats in the very near future (April? Must save up for a bigger cage then the "new" rats can be housed in the current while they are in quarantine ;) I'll be hanging around the vet then.So I'll make an appointment to check them out (may also get the new rats [i want 3 or 4 more] checked out as well,just the well while I'm in there :giggle: ) Going to be a bit of a vet bill :lol:

#6 ·
my one rat sneezed alot when we first got her, she kinda grew out of it though, (she didnt have RI) they still sneeze every once and again sometimes its if i put body spay on... Smoke (on your clothes or smoke in your house or something) can cause sneezing, along with candles, and insence... it caused ours to sneeze alot and i made my boyfriends roomates stop using insence when they lived at his house. now that they arent around it they hardly ever sneeze but still sometimes do. also its common to have a little red goo on their nose when they wake up. i was told it wasnt anything to worry about as long as they are energetic eating, and not having a runny nose or eyes

#7 ·
Aah,well I know my ratsies don't have a RI then.I actually had a plant in my room [forget the name] but it has flowers,& the flowers have a smell to it,which I thought was nice.& I had it on top of my tv stand,was watching it for my aunt,& it's out of my room now,was for a few days& the rats hadn't sneezed the tiniest bit.
Strange isn't it? The thought that the flowers could have been what was making them sneeze never crossed my mind in the least!
Thanks everyone,you helped me not go completely paranoid,& for that I thank you :lol:

#9 ·
When I first got one of my ratties she was sneezing a lot. And I mean all the time, with snot coming out (sometimes) I took her to the vet and they said she had bacteria in her lungs that was comman to rats. Now she's on an antibiotic that goes on the water for a week of everymonth and shes fine. If the sneezing persists, i would see your vet.

#10 ·
ztarwarzchic said:
When I first got one of my ratties she was sneezing a lot. And I mean all the time, with snot coming out (sometimes) I took her to the vet and they said she had bacteria in her lungs that was comman to rats. Now she's on an antibiotic that goes on the water for a week of everymonth and shes fine. If the sneezing persists, i would see your vet.
Your vet was talking about mycoplasmosis (or commonly known as myco)...it is in all domestic rats. The problem with myco is that it overcomes the immune system and it allows a flareup. The secondary infection is what really makes your rat sick.

Just a word of warning to others, an antibiotic that you put in water is not considered a good treatment any longer but was accepted years ago. There is no way to regulate how much antibiotic a rat will get (dosages are very important when your rat is ill), the meds may make the water taste bad so they won't drink at all and get dehydrated, and if you don't scrub your bottles everyday and refresh the water/meds you are asking for bacteria buildup.
A very common antibiotic that vets say to put in water is Tylan and its not considered very effective any longer, especially since baytril and doxycycline are readily available and work much better.

Back on topic, a lot of rats go through what I call "the new home sneezies". If it doesn't clear up and lessen in a week or less you may have a URI (upper respiratory infection)developing. Watch for porphyrn in the eyes and nose (beyond the morning cleanup), lethargy, puffed up fur, lack of appetite, wheezing or congestions, etc.

#11 ·
Sneezing is normal every now and again as the others mentioned.But as mentioned if it is frequent or the rat has red tears or stuff coming from the nose (porphyrn),then it is time to worry and get those rats into a vet.

Sadly,as you know I have dealt with RI's and myco flareups before and lost a rat to it,altho she was on meds.

Your rats should be fine,but because they used to be on pine and cedar...the possibility of RI's are there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.